Chapter 16

Paige’s POV

“Up, Paige! Keep that leg up when you do that turn.”

“I’m trying.” I announced huffily, stretching my leg until my hamstring started to burn.

“See that’s where it needs to be.” She exclaimed, pointing exasperatingly.

“God, your just as bad as Abby, Mads.” I announced, making my turn in slow motion and dropping to the ground. I lie down and let the cold floor cool me off. I’ve been working on my solo all day. I convinced my mom to let me miss the second half of school, seeing as I had gym, math with a substitute teacher, and an all school meeting that I really didn’t want to attend. So, I hitched a ride with Mrs. Ziegler to the studio, so I could work on my solo. It was already Wednesday, I’d just learned it the day before, and we left for the competition on Friday, meaning I only had two days to perfect it.

“I’m not as bad, I’m way meaner.” Maddie exclaimed with a wiggle of her eyebrows and a wide smile. Since Maddie was homeschooled she usually came to the studio early anyways, for privates or to help Abby with the preschool classes. Even with the Prima Preschoolers, the studio still seemed so vacant. The halls were empty and so was the dancer’s den. Any moms were in the viewing room and the kids were all piled into studio A, leaving the rest of the rooms free to Maddie and I’s usage. Abby actually seemed pleased to see me come in early, with Maddie, especially after I told her that I was going to work on my solo. Abby was refusing to give Maddie a solo, because of her “poor” performance last week, so I enlisted her to help me with mine.

“What do you think?” I asked her, sitting upright on the floor. “Will Abby call it a train wreck?”

“No.” Maddie exclaimed. “I think you’re doing great, considering it’s not your style to begin with. Abby will have to realize that if she didn’t change to choreography it’s not your fault that you’re not picking it up as quick as one of your jazz solos.” It was true, but I doubted Abby would “understand”. I probably would’ve picked up a jazz dance faster, but Abby didn’t want to waist her time choreographing an entirely new solo, so she stuck me with an already planned out contemporary-lyrical number. “She really should’ve just changed it.” Maddie continued. “I mean it’s not like she already has potential music for you on file. I think she just wants to do it to spite Chloe, you know?”

I tensed up when I heard her name. “Yeah, as Christi keeps reminding me, this isn’t technically ‘my dance’.”

“Well, it’s your dance now.” She exclaimed, with a giggle. I let out a sigh of relief thinking she was dropping it, but she caught me off guard and asked me hurriedly, “So have you talked to her? Chloe, I mean. You know, after that whole fight on Monday?” A few people in the studio heard us fighting in the bathroom after pyramid and, of course, news in the studio spreads like wildfire. Brooke told me a few people in the Senior company think it’s because of the solo and everyone on the elite team thinks it’s because of the Josh thing, but I guess I’m the only one that knows why I’m really upset, which upsets me almost as much. However, I wasn’t about to go around telling everyone in the studio my personal issues, so I kept quiet about it all. Maddie’s the first person to have the courage to even ask me about it.

“Seeing as she tried to buy me off with a solo, no, we haven’t had a chance to chat.” I replied bitterly, getting up only to pace around the room once and sit down again.

“Ok, but have you put any thought into how we’re going to get through the trio?”

“We’ll get through it fine, Maddie. I’m just as much as a professional as you.”

“I know you are, but come on, why don’t you two just bury the hatchet already? She hasn’t talked to Josh all week. She’s really trying for you Paige, you just have to try too.” I stood up quickly before she could put her hand on my shoulder and try to comfort all of my sour grapes out of me.

“It’s not all about Josh, Maddie. I don’t care about Josh. I know how he is and I know they flirted and frankly I don’t really care about Josh.”

“Then what is it Paige? Chloe’s you’re best friend, what could get in the way of that?”

“It’s the lies and the secrets and that awful gooey mess that’s in the middle of it all, that everyone seems to be ignoring; everyone except me.” I stare at her, wide-eyed, waiting for her to say something, but all she does is give me a sympathetic expression, making me sick to my stomach. “You think you get it, don’t you. You think you understand where I’m coming from, but you don’t Maddie, you just don’t. You have no idea, but you think it’s so easy. Just turn the page, move onto the next chapter. That’s what your thinking. Don’t believe I don’t know what you’re thinking. I should just forget about all of these things that have been piling on top of me only to be dropped all of a sudden. And you can call me dramatic or tell me I’m overreacting and maybe I am. I don’t know if I am. All I know is that I feel completely alone right now and any security I had feels like it’s been ripped out from under me. So, I’m sorry if I don’t feel like forgiving and forgetting at the moment, but I’m still trying to piece myself back together right now, so I’m a little preoccupied.” I gasp for breath and grip the ballet bar for support.

Maddie looked at me stunned and when it looked like she’s finally recovered and was ready to speak I steadied myself and exited the room as collected, but as briskly, as possible.

“Mom.” I breathed through the microphone of my phone. “I need you to come pick me up. I still have some homework I want to do before class.” But, there was no homework. Right when my mom dropped me off at the house I ran upstairs and found my brother, who should’ve been in English class, studying Shakespeare, right where I thought I’d find him; playing on his Xbox, while lying in his bed with a bag of chips.

“Josh why am I selfish?’ I asked him, finally bringing myself to his attention.

“Paige, what are you doing here? You should be at school.” He exclaimed, but I ignored him.

“Why am I selfish?”

“Can we not talk about this now?” He whispered.

“Why am I selfish?” I ask again, this time louder.

“Keep it down why don’t you. If mom catches me I’m dead.”

“Is that why? Because I cover for your ass every time you do something stupid?” I asked, lowering my voice, so it matched his.

“Listen, Paige.”

“Yes, please explain it to me, because I don’t seem to get it.“

“What do you want me to say? Do you want me to say that I’m a stupid jerk? Is that honestly going to make you feel any better? Yeah I called you selfish. I can’t take it back. I’m sorry you overheard me, but I didn’t want to loose her.” His voice softens towards the end.

I let in a heavy breath. “Josh, your my brother and when Chloe didn’t defend me it hurt, but it hurt just as much, maybe even more, when you said it. So, maybe she’ll forgive you at the end of all of this, but I won’t.”

I left him in his room with his bag of chips and his video game controller. When I was halfway across the hall I heard him holler, “Paige” definitely loud enough for my mom to hear if she were in the kitchen, near the staircase. I refuse to answer him, but I keep my ears open. “I’m sorry about you and Chloe. I never wanted that to happen.” That was all I heard and that was all he said.

A/N So, I know this chapter is alot shorter than most of my other ones and usually I'd try to make it longer, but honestly I felt that it was pretty heavy without all the extra content I would've added, so I kept it to a bare minimum. I'll try to post a new (longer) chapter soon, since I've been bad with updating for the past few months. Thanks for being patient with me. <3