Chapter 11

Chloe’s POV

“What do you mean she knows?”

“I mean she knows, Chlo.”

“Are you sure she was talking about us? What’d she say?”

“She said, ‘You can’t keep a secret from me.’”

“That’s what she said?”

“Word for word.”

“Are you sure she wasn’t talking about how you stole 20 bucks from her or something.”

“I’m positive. She knows.” Panic started to build up inside of me.

“Chloe, we’re leaving for dance in 5 minutes.” My mom hollered from the bottom of the stairs.

“Did you hear that?” I scream-whispered into the microphone of my phone, “I have 5 minutes to figure out what to say to Paige.”

“Just run straight into class, so you don’t have time to talk.”

“Ok that works for before class, but what about after. I can’t ignore her forever and even during class she’s going to be livid. I can’t handle this, I just can’t!”

“Chloe-”

“Maybe, I can just not go to dance. I can tell my mom I’m sick or something. I can do that.”

“You’re not missing dance then you’ll have two people mad at you. Just calm down for a second.”

“Calm down? How can you tell me to calm down? You told me at the last possible second!”

“I’m sorry, my phone was dead, and then I had school, then hockey.” I could barley hear Josh’s voice above the throbbing sound in my head. My face felt like it was on fire.

“Chloe, we’re leaving.” I tried taking heavy, drawn-out breath to calm myself, but it wasn’t working as well as I’d hoped.

“I can do this.” I whispered to myself.

“That’s the spirit.” Josh stated. I almost forgot my ear was still pressed against my phone.

“I have to go. I’ll talk to you later, if I get don’t get killed.”

“Don’t worry she wouldn’t kill you at dance.”

“Just at dance! Thanks for the comforting words Josh!” I hysterically stated.

“No I mean-“

“Chloe, we need to leave, now! We’re going to be late.” I pressed the end button on my phone and slipped it into my dance bag, then raced down the stairs.

“You ok, kiddo? You seem stressed.” My mom told me, as we drove care freely towards my awaiting nightmare.

“Ya, I’m just a little nervous about the competition tomorrow.” I said, lying through my teeth. I’d been doing a lot of that lately.

“Don’t be. For once, you’ve gotten a decent amount of practice time from Abby. You are well prepared. You just have to go out there and do what you do best.”

“Easier said then done.” I mumbled to myself. I love my mom, but you can’t say things like that. No one knows what I go through with dance, except for the six girls who have to go through it with me. One of them being Paige, my soon-to-be ex-best friend. I started to bang my knees together even more anxiously then before, but I tried to cover them up by pressing my dance bag down on my legs, to keep them steady.