Chapter 14

Paige’s POV

I wasn’t crying.

Not one tear has fallen down my cheek, since the awards ceremony a few hours ago. I hadn’t been preoccupied or distracted. In fact I’ve been alone in my hotel room, doing absolutely nothing. My mom was out with Melissa and Holly, doing errands for Abby and going out for dinner after. Josh was somewhere, or more appropriately with someone.

At first I tried to not think about it. I thought it would just make me sad, but in actuality I felt nothing. Sure, I guess I did cry, when talking to her, when looking at her, but they weren’t tears of remorse or sadness. No, they were bitter tears. With all of the emotions crowding my brain and driving me crazy, sadness wasn’t one of them, which made me even more confused. Why? Why wasn’t I feeling sad? Why couldn’t I just be sad, even for a minute? Why couldn’t I just cry and breathe and cry again. There was tightness in my chest that made me feel like I was suffocating. I just wanted to scream. Scream for nothing. Maybe if I screamed all of these feeling would just flow out of my and into the atmosphere. However, it wasn’t the best idea to be doing at a hotel, with very thin walls. I heard my phone vibrate against the wooden bedside table, causing quite an annoying commotion. When I picked it up and unlocked it I was greeted by one new message.

Nia: Are you sure you don’t want to come over to my room? Maddie, Kenzie and Kendall are here too. It might help take your mind off of everything…

I quickly typed back a response.

Me: No thanks. I’m good.

Nia: Ok, but if you change your mind Kenzie brought Tangled to watch and I could really use a duet partner ;)

I let out a small grin, my first all day. At first I was angry with Nia for telling me in the first place, but Nia is a hard person to keep a grudge against.

Just then, my hotel room door sung open in full force.

“Are you serious right now, Paige?” A looming figure screamed at me.

I let out a small groan and replied, “Josh, what do you want?” while digging my face into a nearby pillow.

“You’re just here smiling on your phone, while Chloe’s a few doors down crying her eyes out. What the hell is wrong with you?”

“What’s wrong with me?” I practically screeched. “I’m going to pretend you just didn’t ask me that because I’m the last person you should be asking that to.”

“Oh please Paige, cut all of that ‘I’m so innocent’ crap. Chloe’s over there sobbing all because of you.”

“Do not cast the blame on me! I haven’t done anything wrong.”

“What you did at awards was messed up Paige. Chloe hasn’t done anything to you-“

“She has done everything! She lied to me, hid things from me, and thought terrible things about me, things that you actually said about me. What did I ever do to you Josh? Why am I the ‘villain’ in your eyes?” I asked, starting the gasp for breath.  

“You’re a terrible friend, you know that? You couldn’t just let her be happy.” Josh exclaimed, with a red face.

“I was letting her be happy! Why wouldn’t I have wanted her to be happy?”

“Because your selfish. You always want everything to be your way.”

“Do you think this is ‘my way’ Josh?” I raged.