Chapter 3

Chloe's POV

“That’s not a grand plié Chloe! Your butt should be hovering over the ground!” Abby barked at me from across the room. Maddie, Paige and I were in the middle of learning our trio. It was the first trio Abby choreographed in awhile that featured the “original girls” in it. Once Dance Moms started the producers wanted variety so Abby switched everything up. When the cameras left so did Abby’s mix-it-up attitude. We were dancing to the song “I Want”, sung by the amazing One Direction. We all squealed when Gianna played the music. The dance was obviously jazz and, for once, I was the center girl, with Maddie on my left and Paige on my right. My mom beamed from the viewing room when she saw Abby switch Maddie’s and my places. However, Mellissa had an expression that looked like she was constipated, but she perceived it as her best attempt at a smile.

I took a quick look up into the viewing room to check on the moms, specifically Kelly and my mom. Kelly was wedged into a corner with a sour face while my mom was laughing with Melissa over something on her phone, which was probably another video of Clara. That girl is too cute to handle! There had been no blowouts that day, but Kelly was looking more agitated by the second and all the girls in Studio A were just holding our breaths, hoping not to set off Kelly. 

“Let’s start from the beginning girls!” Abby announced. We ran through the dance a few more times before our luck ran out. Kelly’s screams caused me to bobble on a set of my turns.

“I can’t handle it anymore!” she shouted, while racing down the stairs.

“What now?” I heard Abby mutter under her breath.

“Abby I need to speak with you!” Kelly announced.

“I’m in the middle of your daughter’s trio rehearsal.”

“Well that’s what I want to talk to you about.” Kelly took a deep breath and said, “Paige isn’t doing the trio.” I didn’t need X-Ray vision to see Paige’s heart sink into her chest.

“Well that’s not your decision now is it?” Abby replied mockingly. Kelly’s face started to turn a deep shade of red, then purple.

 “Abby I don’t want confrontation, but I don’t want people belittling my daughter while at dance. Keeping their daughter away from my daughter is the only solution.” From up in the observatory I could see my mom rolling her eyes at Kelly while quietly commenting with the other mothers.

“You don’t have a problem with Paige in the group dance.”

“Well you’ve already fully choreographed the group dance and I just reached this decision today. I know she’s a big part of the group and I don’t want to let the team down. However, from now on Paige will not be in dances with certain students.” Kelly said, while glaring at me. I tried to find someplace to hide but there was nowhere.

“Well fine if Paige doesn’t want to be in the dance then Paige won’t be in the dance. I don’t want anyone dancing who doesn’t want to. Maddie and Chloe you’ll be dancing a duet.” Maddie nodded slightly but I wasn’t going to just agree. Paige’s tears were killing me. She loved this dance, I could tell. She hadn’t been in a routine, besides groups, for a while. I felt like I was the reason it was being taken away from her and I couldn’t live with that.

“Miss Abby” I said, in a near whisper.

“What is it Chloe?”

“While in practice I realized that a group dance, solo and trio are to much for me this week. I was wondering if I could just not do the trio.” Paige looked horrified, Kelly wore a smug expression and Abby just looked disappointed. I could tell she had realized what I was doing. She heavily sighed and looked me straight in the eye, silently asking me if this is what I really wanted, if I wanted Kelly to win. I didn’t, but I did want Paige to win and this was the only way.