Chapter 9

Chloe's POV

Get ready for a surprise I reread the text on my phone screen, my finger highlighting every word. Josh was just too sweet, but he was a little late. He said he’d pick me up at 5 and it was already 5:15. In fifteen minutes my mom would come home and she cannot find out I’m going out with Josh. Especially not after I told her I was hanging out with Paige tonight. One good thing that came out of this fight is that my mom and Kelly were so distant that they didn’t even bother checking plans with each other. I started to feel a little guilty, for deceiving my mom like this, but once Josh’s car rolled into my driveway and he gave me that gorgeous smile and a small cute wave, any melancholy was forgotten, partially due to the fluttering and thumping of my heartbeat. I crawled into the front seat and quickly drew in for a kiss.

            “Hey.” I whispered in his ear. He leaned in for another kiss, but for the second I had my eyes open, I got a glimpse of the clock on Josh’s dashboard. I pushed him back and quickly buckled my seat belt.

            “What was that?” Josh asked me quickly, stumbling on each word.

            “My mom gets home at 5:30 and it’s 5:25. We need to get moving if you don’t want to get caught.” He gave me a quick nod and sped out of my driveway and down the road.

            After we were a good mile or two away he finally spoke, and sped down. “You know Chlo it’s kind of cool.”

            “What cool?” I asked him hesitantly.

            “Us sneaking around. I kind of feel like we’re in a movie, one of those crappy ones you and Paige watch all the time.”

            “Hey! They’re not crappy, they’re romantic and sweet.” I exclaimed defensively, no one insults my romcoms.

            “Whatever.” I saw him roll his eyes when pretending to read a sign out his window and I almost let out a gasp, almost.

            “Hey I saw that! And now I’m going to force you to watch one with me. Take your pick, ‘Dear John’ or ‘The Notebook’?” He started to chuckle, but I shot him an I’m not kidding face and he immediately fell silent.

            “Besides,” I said, “I don’t think hiding your relationship from you friends and family qualifies as ‘cool’.”

            “Well I’m not hiding anything from my friends.”

            “Wait you told them about us?”

            “Well ya, just Mikey, Nate and Ben.”

            “Why? If they tell Paige I’m screwed!”

            “I only told them because I wanted to rub in their faces that I have an amazing girlfriend.” He was sweet, but I was stubborn.

            “Well I don’t think it’s fair.”

            “What’s not fair?”

            “You get to tell your friends and I don’t get to tell mine.”

            “Go ahead and tell them! I’m not stopping you.”

            “If I tell my friends then Paige is going to find out and Paige can’t find out!”

            “Why can’t Paige find out again?”