Chapter 13

Chloe’s POV

“Nothing’s worth losing a best friend over.” I repeated to myself as I exited the stage. “Nothing’s worth losing a best friend over. No one’s worth losing a best friend over, not even-“ A hand shot out and pulled me into its owner’s chest, interrupting my thoughts.

“You were amazing.” The deep voice whispered into my ear. It brought chills down my spine. I turned around and my eyes met Josh’s.

“Where is everyone?” I asked, scanning the crowds of people around us for a familiar face.

“Maddie was here to tell you to get back to the dressing room ASAP, but I said I’d tell you on my way to the bathroom.”

“Then we should probably head back.” I said pulling on hand, trying to lead him towards the path to the dressing room.

“Relax, you were ten times better then anybody else I saw. I’ll be utterly shocked it you don’t win.”

“You mean, if Paige and I don’t win. She was in the dance too.”

“I know, but I don’t care about Paige. I was just watching you.”

“Well maybe you don’t care about Paige, but I do!” I blurted out. I could feel the red heat crawling up my face.

“Is this some sort of cryptic conversation, that I’m supposed to believe means something, but really means something entirely different?” When I stayed silent Josh let out a small sigh, not an annoyed sigh, just a sigh, and pulled me down an empty, dead end hallway.  I could sense he was looking at me, but I darted my eyes around to avoid contact. He just stood there, silent, giving me all the time in the world to muster out a sentence.

“Nothing’s worth losing a best friend over.” I muttered to him. He just stared at me blankly. 

“What do you mean Chlo?” I felt my heart sink deeper into my chest.

“Please don’t call me that. This is already nearly impossible.”

“Chloe, you’re shaking.” He tried to place his hand on he shoulder, but I backed up into the wall behind me, causing me to bump my head on the cement wall, sending a shooting pain across my scalp.

“Please, stop.” I begged, sinking down to the ground, trying to fight the tears that were forming from the latest blow to the head.”

“You’re scaring me Chlo- I mean Chloe.” He stammered.

“I can’t do this.” I stated in a barely audible whisper.

“Do what? Come on Chloe, talk to me.” He pleaded.

“I can’t do all of the lies and the hiding and the secrets. I can’t do this anymore. I can’t do us.”

“No, no, no. Chloe, look at me.” Josh pleaded, squatting down to my level. I kept my head in between my legs. Hiding my eyes from my surroundings.  

“Nothings worth losing a best friend over.” I sobbed.

“Not even me?”

“I’m not losing Paige over this.” I stated firmly, but I still shook like someone left out in the cold.

“Who said you had to loose her. You could still tell her.”

“And say what?” I spat harshly. “Paige, everything I’ve told you the past few weeks has been a lie.”

“I don’t know how Paige will react, but I know I don’t want to loose you. Not now, not ever. I love you Chlo.” My heart was now beginning to sink into my stomach.