Chapter 4

Paige's POV

Two nights in a row I’ve spent staring at my ceiling thinking about Chloe and me. During this afternoon’s rehearsal she acted really weird towards me. I didn’t get the chance to ask her if she wanted to hang out on Sunday because by the time classes were over Chloe had already bolted out the door. 

            Everyone in my house was beginning to wake up, except for me. I stayed awake all night, just thinking. If I listened closely I could hear the tap-tapping of Brooke, texting one of her friends or her boyfriend, Nick. I could also hear grumbles and footsteps moving towards the bathroom.

            “Hey Josh.” I called out to my brother.

            “Go away Paige I’m about to take a shower!” he growled at me. Josh Hyland was definitely not a morning person.

            “I need to ask you something!” I pleaded.

            “What.”

            “It’s about Chloe.” Suddenly the footsteps stop. No longer trudging, I heard Josh spin around and gallop towards my room.

            “What about Chloe?” he asked me, with a slightly hopeful expression, that I decided not to question.

            “Has she been acting weird to you?” The hopeful expression slid off his face.

            “How would I know? It’s not like I talk to your stupid friends anyways.” He replied, defensively.

            “Well you saw her when you gave her my tap shoes, so I was just thinking –“

            “Ya, well think again sis. I saw her in the studio and I gave her the stupid shoes and told her to give them to you then got out of that stupid studio.” I was slightly shocked by Josh’s hostility. Something was up with him, but I didn’t want to play Nancy Drew this early in the morning.

            “Wow. Morning Josh is an Angry Josh.” I said, with my arms up in the air as an act of surrender.

            “Now if you excuse me, I’m going to take my shower.” Josh grumbled, as he trudged out of my bedroom.

            Since I gained nothing from my interrogation, I decided to just ask Chloe at dance. However, I first had to get through yet another day of school. Unfortunately, none of the girls from dance went to the same school as me. Nia went to that prissy private school, the Zieglers were homeschooled, to leave more room for dance, Chloe went to her preforming arts school and Kendall lived a town, or two, over, so we went to different high schools. I had friends outside of dance, but we weren’t as close as I was with my dance friends, probably because I spent every single ounce of my free time at dance, instead of going to school parties or sleepovers. I started my regular routine, consisting of brushing my teeth and hair, washing my face, picking out my outfit, putting my makeup on, and styling my hair. I usually took a shower at night because Josh always used up all the hot water in the mornings. I picked out a pale blue, chiffon top, with similar flowers lined up around the collar, attached by a single silver stud in each on the flowers’ centers. I paired the top with dark wash jeans and bright blue Toms. My hair was naturally curly, but I used my curling iron to emphasize my curls and then braided a front piece and pined it back. Once I was finally satisfied, I hopped downstairs, with my pink backpack in tow. A sweet aroma surrounded me and beckoned me over towards the kitchen table.

            “Hi sweetie, I made French toast. Grab a plate and join you brother and sister at the table. I could see Josh poking at his food and Brooke texting while popping a piece of French toast into her mouth after she sent a text. I was running late, like usual, so I forked down three whole pieces of my delicious breakfast and headed out the door behind my older siblings.