Chapter 36: The Age of Evil

Even in her sleep, Annabeth Chase was haunted by Percy Jackson. He was either the saviour or the demon in her dreams. She dreamt of the past, when she first met him till he took Olympus' throne. It was a long time ago, when they first met when they were twelve and when they first kissed. If Annabeth had the power to go back to these simpler times, she would in a heartbeat. But such simpler times will never exist again, even in her sleep.

Annabeth was shaken awake by Piper, who was sitting next to her in the tiny dark suffocating cell. Annabeth sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She tried to stand but the small chains tightened around her ankles reminded her of the truth. The truth that she will never stand against Percy again and that she would never stand a chance.

With a sigh of defeat, she sat back down on the cold hard ground, the chains echoing as she moved. Percy had locked them in the darkness, never mentioning if they will ever see daylight again. "How long have we been down here?" Hazel asked, her gentle but powerful voice shattering through the fatal silence. No one answered, because no one knew. It had definitely been more than a day, according to when they received their meals. But none of them bothered counting, it would only make them closer to madness.

The rest of camp half-blood had been locked in other cells but the minor gods had joined Percy's side in battle. Cowards who instantly knelt before him. However, Annabeth was a coward herself too. She didn't fight the day Percy too the throne. He had played them all. Climbed on their pain and misery to vicotory. To his throne. Maybe it was rightfully his. Maybe he was the right king and they were the ones wrong to oppose him. The prophecy had been in his favour, not theirs. They should've considered the prophecy. They should've followed it.

Percy outsmarted them all, every single one of them. He used her, manipulated her to his own cause. He knew she was in love with him, he knew it was her weakness. Annabeth never thought love can be a weakness. But love betrayed her, because the love only came from her. Not from him. Never from him.

"We have to think of a plan to attack once we're let out." Jason said. He hadn't spoken a word since kneeling before Percy. Jason Grace. The commander of Olympus' army and the coward that was too scared to kill Percy Jackson. Two titles infused into one person. The brave and the coward. But to her, Jason would always be the attention-seeking demigod that played a role in making them end up here.

He wanted to leave the island, because he feared Percy.

He couldn't kill, because he feared the darkness.

He couldn't fight, because his light was weak compared to the dark.

He couldn't win, because he only did it for him.

Annabeth never thought of all of that accumulated anger she had towards him. All that boiled up rage she held in. "You're the last one to talk about making a plan. Am I clear?" Annabeth snapped. Her rage suffocating the dark small space.

"Annabeth..." Piper warned.

"No." Annabeth replied, cutting her best friend off. "Enough is enough." She pointed at Jason. "You're one of the many reasons why we ended up here! Admit it, just admit it."

"There is nothing for me to admit." Jason simply stated, but the blue in his eyes was bright with fear. He knew what she was talking about.

"Admit that you're scared of him! Just say it! You put yourself first because you only wanted the glory of being the hero at the end. You stuck up-"

"Annabeth, please! This is what Percy wants. He wants us to tear each other down." Piper explained.

"Percy already has whats he want. Throne, darkness, power...all of it!" Annabeth said. "Whatever happens to us, whatever he plans to do, its only for his entertainment. That is what we are to him, entertainment." She leaned back on the wall, panting because of the sudden rush of anger that flowed out of her. "Whatever Percy does, I just hope its what we all truly deserve."