Chapter 1

Hello Everyone, for those who are not aware this is a fanfic for Snow White with Red Hair. This is a piece that I originally wrote in early high school. Many years have passed and now I hope to give the story more depth. Unless otherwise specified the point of view is in Mirayuki's, the main character. Please give me patience as I revise the piece as I am a full time college student and have a part-time job. I will post the old chapters and they will specify this as well.

Without Further ado, please enjoy this first chapter of the new and improved... The Girl with Golden Eyes...

The forest past by me as I looked for my prey, the bow in my hand felt light the arrows a feather in the wind. I closed my eyes listening to the trees as the air past through their leaves, small footsteps crushing the fallen ones as it tread.

My troop were all watching me with wide eyes filled with awe, I was training them to be hunters. All of their ages ranged from 13 to 18. We started the kids young who showed interest in the hunt. More and more girls finally joining our ranks because of me.

I prayed for the life I was about to kill, for it's meat would bring nutrition to my people. My eyes snapped open as a let the arrow fly towards the wild boar.

I heard multiple gasps from behind me as the kids watched in wonder as the arrow sank into the beast. It was a quick and painless death. I sent a quick prayer and thanks to the beast who would feed my people and my friends for the upcoming days.

"Go get it." I turned as the children scrambled to carry the boar back to our makeshift camp. Closing my eyes I enjoyed the summer sun on my face. A content sigh slipped past my lips.

I know that the troops will begin to get tired soon, we had already been gone from our home for five days. I fully planned on staying until the summer solstice, the official beginning of summer. Longest day of the year and the best time to hunt with newbies.

Glancing back at the them I saw how much they were staggering as they carried our meal. Perhaps if they can manage to bring home dinner tomorrow I'll let them go home a day early.

Hunting for such a big civilization was difficult considering how many hunters we had before I began training the children. We only had four hunters back then, now we had around fifty teens who were fully trained. Two batches of seven kids ages thirteen and under were under my training regimen.

"Teacher!" I watched as one of the younger boys ran towards me pointing excitedly at the deer the others were carrying.

"Did you see Teacher!" I smiled petting the boys small head, this was why I loved to teach hunting. Seeing their eyes light up at their first success, the joy of eating something you killed themselves.

I always taught my kids to value life, even though these are animals they provide us with life. They have a heart beat in their chest, they're alive to.

"Suboki led me to it." I asked my pupil, planning on showing him how I honor the creature after death.

Suboki led me to the deer the other boys were carrying. I had them gently lower the deer onto the group and had them all kneel.

"Repeat after me," I paused watching all the students nod, "Thank you for giving us life, energy, and joy. May you find peace."

"Now then let's continue our hunting lesson." Onward we all went my troop gathering together so that we could head back to camp. I suppose we learned enough on this excursion, we can start heading back tomorrow.

Laughter could be heard coming from the empty field where the children played under the starlight. At home at last, my troop all sleeping knowing fully well that our archery training would be started back up tomorrow.