#315 he sees the baby for the first time - n

Niall: You and Niall stood beside the incubator in the neonatal unit. James, as you had decided to call him had been born two months premature and as a result of that, had difficulty breathing on his own. You turned your head to look at Niall who was staring down at his baby boy, laced in wires and breathing in and out slowly. He kept looking into the incubator and reached for your hand, taking it into his and lacing his fingers between yours. You gently squeezed his hand and he sighed, looking at you momentarily. His eyes were red, due to the fact that he'd flown back from tour in Europe and stayed awake helping you through your labour. He hadn't had a single hour's sleep. He sniffled and shook his head, looking back into the glass box. You also looked into it, the two of you stayed silent just watching your child, longing for him to make it through the rest of the night. Niall slowly let go of your hand and put it close to the hand hole. He hesitated before shaking his head again. 
"I can't.." He muttered, turning his back to the incubator and putting his hands over his eyes. You wrapped your arms around his waist and sighed.
"Why not?" 
"Because what if he doesn't make it!" He said loudly, causing a couple of the other doctors in the room to look over. 
"He will.. we have to think he will" You replied softly, rubbing his back gently. He wiped his eyes of some tears before turning to the incubator again. He looked exhausted, especially with his teary eyes. He rested his hand back on the entrance for the incubator before pushing his hand through the hole. He stretched his finger out and gently laid it against his sons chest, pushing the wires off of him. He stroked the skin lightly, watching his son's face as he breathed in and out slowly. He bit his lip anxiously before muttering.
"You'll be alright bud, you'll be alright"