I'm Sorry

60. I'm Sorry

  I sat with my legs folded and my shoulders slumped as I picked at the low grass beneath me like I've been doing for a while now.

  I listened to the water rushing downstream and let it sooth me as I was lost in my thoughts. Though, I tried not to think about what happened a while ago with Ace and just tried to stay calm and relax for as long as I can.

  It seems though, that my thoughts don't agree with me, because it kept replaying the scenario in my head over and over and I couldn't figure out why I was so angry. I believed him when he told me that nothing was going on between them, but for some reason I was still angry.

  So I figured maybe a run would be the best way to take out all that anger instead of staying there and waiting for someone to tick me the wrong way.

  As I thought, the run was beneficial. I ran until my calves hurt and my lungs felt like they were on the verge of bursting through my chest, then somehow, I ended up here. Now, I felt like absolute shit as I continued to think about the situation.

  I know I didn't blow up for no reason, but I still wish I hadn't, not like I can take it back now.

  I let out a frustrated huff, pulling at the grass aggressively, before letting out another slow breath to calm myself again, my eyes closed.

  However, they snapped open when I heard a twig snap behind me and rustling.

  I drew in a small subtle breath, catching a scent the same time he made his way in front of me and lowered himself to the ground.

  I kept my eyes trained on the grass as he set his legs wide apart then pulled himself closer to me until he was sitting with his legs on either side of me. His hands settled on the sides of my thighs gently and then it was quiet.

  No rustling, no talking, just silence, our breathing and the sound of the river rushing by.

  It stayed that way for a couple minutes. I tried to find the best way I could approach the topic in those several minutes and all the while I kept my eyes on the small space on the ground between us.

  A cool breeze blew heavily through the trees, ruffling the leaves and tossing my hair around my face. I didn't move to tame it, since it wasn't the first time it's happened since I've been here, but Ace did.

  He reached up to push my hair back behind my ear gently while his other hand caressed the side of my thigh through my leggings slowly.

  Then I finally got the courage to start talking, "Sorry I overreacted," I mumbled as he dropped his hand from the side of my face, settling it back on the side of my thigh.

  He stayed quiet, knowing I had more to say. So he settled with just running his thumbs over my thighs.

  "I know that you have to work a lot to keep your pack and your company going and I shouldn't have gotten angry about it," I took a breath before continuing, "I was being dumb and insensitive and it won't happen again."

  "I hate it when you call yourself dumb, Syl," He said lowly.

  "But I was," I mumbled.

  "No, you weren't," He disagrees, "Just tell me what was the problem?" He asked.

  I shrugged, "I don't know," I let out a breath, "I'm just– I'm having an off day."

  "I think I have an idea—two actually," He said and when I didn't say anything, he continued, "The first one is because I haven't been spending much time with you,"