22

I BARGED MYSELF BACK into the Clan's chamber with an addled Calder following behind. Each one of them quickly turned from their close circle around a table, expressions of both surprise and aggravation bestowing their faces. I shoved off any thought of regret and stood tall before them with Calder at my side.

"What is this meaning of this?" the leader addressed me in a churlish tone.

"I think I know the way we can defeat the frozen queen once and for all," I told them, "I found this map, from my father's bedside drawer. It shows a path to what he wrote as 'Sverdet', the sword. It's the only sword that can defeat her."

"Foolish girl, to think a simple sword could defeat such a powerful sorceress as the frozen queen. And your parents' chamber was not for your eyes to ever lay upon, nor anyone else's again," he said. "Captain Hansen, it is your duty to keep the princess out of trouble, and yet you bring her here with this ludicrous statement?"

"To that I can only say, Your Graces, is that the princess is very pertinacious," Calder replied, looking down at me with a sly smile before turning back to the Clan. "Which is why she would be a wonderful queen, in any case. I don't understand myself what is really going on right now, but I think you should listen to her."

All of the Clan straightened into stiff positions, their faces now hesitant.

"Proceed, Princess," the leader gestured.

I walked over to the table and unrolled the map for all of them to see, pointing where the sword was labeled. "Right there. That's where it has to be located, or at least an answer about where to find it. My father must have figured out how to destory her when he was trying to change the prophecy. It's some type of special iron sword that can kill her!"

"She has the power over iron, therefore it can't kill her," one of the men spoke up.

"I agree with his word, Princess. There's no say that the sword is even made of iron at all," the leader added.

I wondered if now was the time to tell of my vision, but I knew if I did the Clan might react in some way that would refuse me from finding the sword. And with Calder standing there whom I knew without a doubt would take the vision out of proportion, my mouth had to remain hushed. I had to find it before I could point the vision all true, in case it were to change.

"That's what we need to find out," I urged to the Clan. "Why else would my father go to all this trouble mapping and researching just to get a sword that wouldn't destroy her? There has to be something else to this, something my father never found that can help us. I have to know!"

"The path is through the dark forest and the mountains. Entering through there is not only forbidden but it is dangerous and could have you killed," the leader gritted. "The frozen queen's men are out there right now just waiting for you to leave this palace. If they catch you everything is over!"

"Then let me take my men," I offered, "I'll gather a group of knights who can aide me on this journey and protect me. Calder can even teach me to glamour myself so I won't be seen like he and his men do when they're in the ephemeral world. I can do this."

"Eerika, no, I won't put you or my men in this kind of danger. I agree with the Clan. We can find another way to defeat Sylvi," Calder spoke.

"Captain Hansen has the head on his shoulders that you do not, Princess," the woman pointed. "We decline this discussion, and shall keep the map under our care. Captain, take her back to her chamber."

"Yes, Your Grace," Calder nodded, bending his head to speak low near my ear. "Let's go."

Guiding me out of the room I pushed his hand away upon the exit, feeling a boil of aggravation flush me.