2

THREE O' CLOCK CAME and my stomach gutted as I got in my car and headed for home. Who knew what time Blane would be coming over, if he wasn't already on his way now. My heart began to nervously race just thinking about it, and I almost ran a stop sign down the road because of the distraction.

I guessed it wasn't really that I didn't want Blane coming over, or want to spend time with him. It was just. . .complications risen in the way of things.

My parents had never let me hang out with a boy or even actually date one--Ever. Never had a boyfriend, never been kissed. Not saying that a homework assignment with Blane would result in us running to the chapel to get married or anything like that, but I knew he had to feel something for me. You can't expect something not to be there when a guy looks at you the way Blane looked at me.

It had been going on since the start of the school year, and I couldn't understand why. I hadn't changed in any features or personality. I didn't wear makeup. I was still a pale blonde girl at five foot four, the nerd who got good grades, and who's only friend was the hyperactive Spanish girl everyone referred Jessi as.

Although my breasts did pretty much just now appear four years later after puberty had already come and hit the road. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason.

Jessi wasn't wrong though--I did have a crush on Blane. Since elementary school when he sat behind me in class I knew I liked him, though so many years later I still didn't have any sort of guts to admit it.

Pulling into the driveway I took a moment to sit there in my car, unmoving. I stared at myself in the rearview mirror, gazing at my pearl skin and eyes similar to a frozen lake. I brought a hand up to tousel my white-blonde braid, and poked at my cheeks that had never held any pigment unless I was angry or blushing. I pulled the braid free and let the long waves fall down my shoulders.

I then saw the silver Porsche appear in the mirror, and the roar of Blane's engine startled me. With a deep breath and an eternal groan, I stepped out of the car to meet him.

"Hey," Blane greeted as he approached, taking a glance over the house. "Nice place you got here."

"Thanks," I replied, awkwardly shifting from hip to hip in my place. "Do you uh, wanna' get started?"

"Yeah, of course."

I unlocked the front door and we stepped inside, tossing our bags on the hardwood floor. I turned to Blane to quickly warn him before we went further.

"I. . .have to warn you first. My parents are kind of strict on who comes over. 'Who' being any boys, actually," I told him.

Blane nodded. "Ah, I see. Well I can assure them I'll be no trouble. We're only working on a homework assignment after all. It's not like we had a choice."

"Uh, y-yeah, right," I agreed. I turned my back to him before my blush rose, and headed for the kitchen with him in tow.

"Mom? Dad?" I called out for them in the silence of the house, but received no answer in return. I turned to the fridge to see a note taped there,

Went to the store with Mom to get milk and a few things for dinner. She made me. Stay out of the chocolate cake on the island. Be back soon Snowflake.

-Dad

"Snowflake, huh?" Blane countered close to my ear, and I jumped away from him with a small gasp.