38. The Choices We Make

Start from the beginning

I shook my head. "Daddy just wants to keep the peace. Killing would just be problematic." He ran his hand over his face with a groan. "You sounds just like him." I sighed then quickly changed the subject. "How's Momma?"

"Same." He said as he sat up and walked towards his dresser. Revealing his striped pajama bottoms and white t-shirt. I sighed then placed my hand on my stomach. "I just don't understand why she hasn't woken up yet?" He grabbed a quick outfit and placed it on the edge of his bed. "Me neither. Dad and I visit her every day, but it always the same old thing." We were all concerned about my mother. It has been a month and a half, and she has shown no sign of waking up soon.

"So when are you coming back?" I shrugged my shoulders, "I'm not sure, sometime after I have the pup."

"When is that?" He asked. "Um...I think Taylor said in a couple of weeks." He shook his head and began chuckling. "You're going to be an interesting mother."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

We talked for a little while longer until he had to go to his training.I made my way towards the bathroom. I stopped in front of the sink then slowly turned to look into the mirrors.

Dropping my gaze to my round stomach, I balled my hands as my eyes began to water. I was terrified. I had put on this facade everyday, when in reality I was absolutely terrified. Even thinking those three words made me more vulnerable to the circumstances. I was to become a mother any day now and that scared me.

I took a deep breath then walked out of the bathroom. Thinking about it any longer would only make me feel worse. I made my bed, now I had to lay in it.

I don't typically do walks, but I found myself walking down the trail that lead into the forest. I was bored out of my mind, and seriously considering doing pack work.

A few steps into the forest I instantly regretted my decision. I had sweat racing down my back and was short of breath. I had never been so out of shape in my life. I stopped in my tracks as a familiar scent filled my nose. There Seth stood a few feet away from me, fishing in the small pond. His nose flared as he caught a whiff of my scent.

I had been avoiding Seth for weeks now. I just wasn't sure how to approach him. His shoulders tensed as he kept his back facing me. "Brinn." He said casually.

I stayed silent for a couple of seconds before I finally took a deep breath and spoke. "It's still cold." I said as I crossed my arms over my chest. He turned to face me with a confused expression. "I just mean, isn't it too cold to be fishing?"

He smiled then placed the bait on the hook of his fishing pole. "Spring is right around the corner. The fish have already started making appearances." I nodded.

"How are you?" I asked as I took a step forward.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm fine Brinn. We're fine." He said indicating his and I's relationship. I smiled and stood next to him while he continued to fish. "That's good to know." His lips morphed into a smile.

"You should hate me." I said in barely a whisper. He sighed then shook his head. "I don't."

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I had time to think and now I know I was trying to force something that wasn't there." He opened his eyes and smiled weakly at me. I wrapped both of my hands around his right one. "Everything will work out. I promise." He nodded in agreement.

We talked for what felt like forever. It was as if we hadn't spent any time apart. We sat with our backs leaned against a tree when Seth's fishing pole moved from his lap. He leaped up and retrieved it with a grunt. "Looks like I got one." I stood up and joined him. "Well What are you waiting for?"

He reeled the line up only to find it empty. "Stupid fish took the bait and dipped." I burst into laughter. He shot a glare my way. "Oh come on that's funny." He bit his lip to stop from laughing, but eventually he was joining me in my fit of laughter.

When we had finally settled down, I decided it was time for me to head back. "Hey I'm going to head home. It's almost time for dinner." He nodded then I started walking down the trail.

My stomach growled as I entered the dining hall. There were only a few people seated since dinner wouldn't be served for another 15 minuets. I sat in my usual seat then pulled out my phone. Seth casually walked into the room with his hands in his pockets. He shot me a smile then took his seat at the far end of the table.

I was scrolling through my phone when Carter's name popped up with a message.

Carter:
How are you?

I was about to send a text when Alex sat next to me. "Hey!"

"Hi." I said, looking up from my phone. "I heard Maci and Rachel are almost done with the nursery."

I smiled, "That's good." I turned my attention back to my phone.

Me:
I'm okay! I miss you guys :)

Alex grabbed my phone then placed it on the table in front of us. "Just good?" I glared at her then grabbed my phone. "What do you want me to say Alex? I have other things to worry about besides the nursery." She rolled her eyes. "Someone's in a mood."

I sighed. "I'm just really tired and hungry." I explained. "Me too!" I shook my head then read Carter's message.

Carter:
Your Dad has us on this crazy training schedule.

Me:
I heard.

Carter:
On the bright side, your boy has gained some serious muscle.

Me:
Lol! This I'd like to see! Scrawny Carter with muscles.

Carter:
I'm not scrawny.

Me:
I know. I just like messing with you :)

"Who are you texting?" I looked up to see Titus glaring down at me. Alex had taken her seat and the whole room was packed at this point, everyone waiting to eat.

He sat down the slid a plate in front of me. He kept his eyes on me as he awaited my explanation. "I'll tell you later. How's the food?" I said as I took a fry off his plate.

"Brinn." He warned.

"I was talking to Carter." He shook his head in disapproval. "Carter has a mate and so do you. Don't text him anymore! I won't say it again!" My mouth dropped open. I couldn't believe he was talking to me the way he was. I knew Titus could be controlling but he had just crossed a line.

The room went silent and the pack's wandering eyes landed on me, waiting for my outburst. So I did the exact opposite. I took a deep breath and stared down at my plate. At this point of my life I was tired. Mentally and physically tired. I had no will to argue anymore.

Titus cleared his throat, "You may begin eating. This matter doesn't concern any of you." The pack quickly started up their conversations again and dug into their food. Seth's eyes met mine before he shook his head and looked away.

I sighed and began eating in silence.

***

Okay guys I know it's been a long time Since my last update. It honestly should have never even gotten to this point but school has really gotten in the way lately. I'm just so happy I'm going on winter break soon. I planed on completing this book by the end of this year. But since I'm extremely behind, I just don't see that happening.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. It was hard for me to get back into the rhythm of writing again, with me being away for so long. But I'm glad I finally got it out for you guys. A chapter might not be out next week since I have finals, but still stay on the lookout.

Don't forget to comment, vote, and share! It really means a lot. 💙

Song:
Cherry Hill~ Russ