Two| You want what? (Edited)

Start from the beginning

Time passed outside of my knowledge as I related to the book and wanted nothing more than to be hugged. My nose was nearly pressed to the pages when a familiar voice filled the air.

"You trying to crawl into the book?"

There was no need to look up from the book to know it was Riven, even the scent of his cologne was distinctly different from most others...Very loud and pungent cologne.

I choose to ignore him, flipping the page in my book.

"Oh come on, you mad?" His chuckle makes my heart feel funny, my chest tightening. Last thing I needed was a panic attack to come on.

"How did you know I was here?"

"I'll take that as a yes." He continues speaking, jumping onto the beanbag next to me. "You're boring, figured there's only two places you could be."

Glad for the frustration he pulls out of me, I slam my book shut and fold my arms, "And those places are?"

"The park and the library."

"You're stereotyping."

"And I was right." He grinned and showed all of his perfectly straight teeth. "What book is that?" He looked at the cover and his face fell. "Oh-"

Great, the pity stare. I can feel my cheeks going red and how my fingers begin to tremble.I hate feeling so numb and hot and weak whenever someone finds out. I absolutely despise it. "Now you know why I prefer not to share a room with a man."

I expected him to go on a spiel about how not all men are this way, which I knew that. But some men were that way, and for that very reason, I have to be careful.

Instead, he surprises me and changes the subject. With a frown, he admits. "I need a favour."

This is where it starts.

"Nope, just no." I jump up and put the book back on the shelf.

"Please! I'll pay you!" His hot and rough hand grabs onto my arm, sending chills and electricity through my veins. His eyes widen in horror when he realizes how his previous statement sounds. "Oh God not like that! Um.... I have a family reunion thing."

"That's great for you. Gimme my arm." I jerk back from him and nearly fall into the bookshelf. Not my finest moment.

Brushing off my clothes and my bruised and battered ego, I grab my bag and rush to the doors.

"Will you stop for five seconds?!" The librarian shushes Riven as he shouts, the level of desperation in his voice actually concerns me.

So, despite my anxiety-inducing devil on my shoulder screaming to run and leave him here alone, I stop, I fold my arms, and I listen.

Riven's face pales when he realizes I'm giving him the room to speak. "Look... I can barely see my family sober, it's just... It's this whole thing. But my sister will be there and I want to be sober for her. I'm babysitting her after the reunion."

Noble enough cause.

Am I actually sympathizing with him?

What if this is a trick to make me fall for him and then he traps me somewhere?

"So where do I come in?" I ask through a weak voice.

"My family is disappointed in me for... Multiple reasons but one major one is that I can't commit to a relationship longer than a few days. Normally I wouldn't care but my ex is gonna be there, and I don't have the energy for that."