Chapter 7: The Best Of Friends

Lucy woke up early on Saturday morning to the delicious smell of Emily's cherry cough drops and the sound of a loud back-and-forth nonsense fight next door.

Emily and Lucy anticipated it would happen- since Jenna Danielle was not a very pleasant person, and Cynthia couldn't be more of her opposite. Cynthia never fights... So she must have reeeeallyyy disagreed with Jenna if they were screaming like this.

Lucy glanced over at her best friend and roommate, Emily. She was fast asleep with her head hanging off the side of the bed, mouth open, tongue flopped out, and snoring. There was a soppy, wet, delicious smelling bright red cherry cough drop resting on the carpet directly below Emily's mouth. She must have fallen asleep with it in her mouth. Her long, wild, light blond curly hair was spread out crazily around her head. Her long faded cream-white nightgown with blue ribbon strewn through was crinkled up from being shaped like a ball in her suitcase.

As much as she hated to admit it, Emily and Lucy themselves fought sometimes. Over the stupidest things, too. "Even the best of friends fight," she told herself every time they got into an argument. Their friendship was too valuable to lose.

The more Lucy thought about it, though, the more it seemed to her that none of them really were Jenna Danielle's friends. Jenna Danielle, sometimes just called Jenna or Jenna D, was the stereotypical popular girl. Expensive clothes, snotty attitude, conceited friend groups, and really into boys. The only thing Jenna and Lucy had in common was that they both liked Demi Lovato's music.

"Emily."

Lucy needed Emily to wake up. She got very bored when she was alone, and also when Lucy was alone... She thought. She thought about her family, friends, responsibilities, and herself. She never really valued herself very much. It was not something she liked to have on her mind, so she had never told Emily that she really didn't like herself.

"Emily," she tried again, more urgently this time.

"Emily," she flailed her arms around frantically, as if thinking of what more she could say.

Suddenly, Lucy imagined she was a character in a book. She was somewhere very far away from home, with no one but Emily, trapped with no contact with the rest of the world. But when she woke up in this daydream, Emily wasn't responding, and Emily never woke up in the end. Thinking of this made Lucy break into tears- she couldn't imagine ever losing Emily.

"THE MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO IS GARBAGE! KEEP IT DOWN!" Jenna still screamed.

Lucy snapped out of her thoughts. For the first time, she was happy to hear Jenna's voice.

"I HAVE THE RIGHT TO LISTEN TO WHATEVER I WANT!" Cynthia fired back, slightly less loud as Jenna Danielle had.

"WELL IT'S GROSS AND I NEED BEAUTY SLEEP!"

It wasn't hard to guess who had said that.

"ITS ONLY ON LIKE, 3 VOLUME! OH, AND ITS 10 AM!" Cynthia shouted, probably waving her arms around. She did that often when she talked.

Jenna groaned, annoyed, and Lucy heard something smash into the wall on the other side. It sounded fluffy, like a pillow... Jenna had probably thrown it at Cynthia to make her shut up.

Emily stopped mid-snore. She gasped for air, and then coughed awkwardly.

Lucy shifted her eyes toward Emily. Emily was blinking her eyes rapidly, trying to readjust her vision. Lucy was never more excited that Emily had woken up in her entire life.

Emily stopped and listened to the shouting voices of their friends from next door for a moment.

"Are we that loud and obnoxious when we fight too?" She asked, confusedly.

"I don't know, Emily... I don't know."

Lucy glanced away from Emily and just squeezed her eyes shut tightly.