Chapter 1: Welcome Back

It was a bright and clear Monday morning on the Skywood Academy boarding school campus. Students were checking back in after a much-too-short Summer vacation.

"Cynthia Evans, grade ten," A quiet blond girl with dark blue eyes and rosy-colored glasses said to the secretary.

"Welcome back, miss Cynthia! You will be in Dorm 203," the secretary explained. Handing her a shiny silver key, the secretary moved on to the next person.

Cynthia dragged her luggage along the sidewalk, looking for the building in which her dorm was located.

"Cynthia?" A familiar voice called out to her.

She stopped waking and scoured the crowd for the speaker. Squinting, she spotted Jenna Danielle Cavanaugh, a friend of hers since the third grade, waving at her. "Jenna!" Cynthia squealed, dropping her luggage and running to her friend.

"Oh my gosh, what dorm are you in?" Jenna Danielle screeched, her voice full of energy and excitement.

Cynthia checked the number that was taped into the key. "203."

Jenna Danielle glanced down quickly, and then gave Cynthia the craziest look she'd ever seen. "OH MY GOOOOOSH! ME TOOOOOO!"

"AHHHHH! EARTHQUAKE!"

The girls both looked over Cynthia's shoulder to see Lucy Anderson scrambling around like a chicken with no head.

"Lucy!" Cynthia shouted.

Lucy bounded over, with her best friend Emily Tanwood not far behind her.

"Oh, it was just Jenna screaming!" She laughed. Lucy's long, straight, dirty blond hair fell just below her elbows, and the bright blue highlight she must've got over the summer matched her shiny blue eyes. Her bright white teeth gleamed in the sunshine.

"Yeah, that was me," Jenna said flatly, rolling her eyes. She never really had a great friendship with Lucy. They were practically mortal enemies.

Emily stepped out from behind Lucy. "Your hair looks really nice today," she complimented Jenna Danielle.

"Oh really? Thank you so much! Your hair looks... Um... Okay, too, I... I could give you some product that would keep it from becoming that frizzy ugly poof that it is right now!" Jenna stopped and thought a minute. "Oh wait. I guess that came out kind of rude... Sorry."

Jenna used a perfectly manicured hand to push some chocolate-brown strands of hair out of her nicely-tanned face.

Emily looked hurt, but didn't walk away.

"So, um... Where's your dorm?" Lucy whispered. Cynthia showed Emily and Lucy the key with their dorm number on it.

"We're in 202!" Emily responded. Cynthia didn't remember Emily being as shy as she was right now. Maybe she was just shaken up a bit by Jenna's hurtful words. She gave Cynthia a sympathetic look with her minty-colored eyes, and Cynthia assumed it was because she had to share a dorm with Jenna Danielle.

Unsure of how to respond, Cynthia just smiled back. "Yeah, so, it was nice to see you all again, but I should probably get going," Cynthia murmured awkwardly. She strolled back to where she had dropped her luggage, collected it up in her arms, and then continued to Building D.

Jenna, who it even glancing back, followed Cynthia though the double glass doors.

Emily pushed her wild blond curls over her shoulder, motioned for Lucy to follow her, and then bounced into Building D, Lucy not far behind her.