Chapter 2: One More Day

"Spencer," Lilly Sullivan tried. Lilly was a small Hawaiian-origin girl with a deep tan, long wavy brown locks and dark hazel eyes. Her best friend, Princess Spencer, never listened to her. Despite being an actual princess, Spencer was quite the opposite. She never acted like the ladylike girl her parents had wanted her to be, and often broke rules for attention.

"Lilly, you're not going to stop me. I'm leaving," Spencer stuffed some more random junk into a bag and then looked up at her reflection in the mirror. "I don't want to stay here anymore. You're the only person that ever cared about me anyway."

"Have you ever thought that maybe, this... Is a bad idea? I, I... Can't be the only one who thinks so." Lilly fought to keep the tears from slipping over her eyelids.

"No, you're not the only one who thinks it is. I do too. But I'm still going. I need to take risks." Spencer felt as if she just couldn't live like this anymore. Sure, she has to do all the work her sister, the Queen, Destiny, has to do- but Destiny gets all the attention for being queen. Spencer just gets bossed around all the time and forced to go to stupid events that she doesn't want to go to.

When her parents had passed away a few years ago, Destiny had been coronated early. Spencer never understood it, but it was later learned that the birth certificates that the government had were fake- Spencer was declared younger, therefor Destiny becomes queen. Spencer was actually born four minutes before Destiny. No one bothered to change anything when the truth was revealed. The rumor never got out about how it had happened, but Lilly was determined to find out who, and why.

Lilly was planning to make her findings on the subject Spencer's birthday present- but she was running out of time. She couldn't give her any present at all if her best friend was at some boarding school in the modern part of town. Lilly was a great friend, and she needed Spencer to know that she could never live without her. If only she had one more day...

"Please stay one more day, at least. What if I never see you again? I need to work everything out and look things over again," Lilly pleaded.

"But... Tomorrow's my birthday... If I'm not gone by tomorrow... Oh my gosh, Lilly, you're brilliant! They'll definitely realize I'm missing right away if I leave the day before my birthday! Yes yes yes, thank you!" Spencer did a little dance around the room and then hugged Lilly.

Lilly hugged her back half-heartedly.

"No problem..." Lilly sighed and then left the room. Spencer never understood her either.

Who could she talk to? Spencer was clearly only worried about her own problems.

It's not her fault. Lilly thought. She actually might have a pretty difficult life.

"I wish I could talk to someone..." Lilly said out loud to herself. "Too bad nobody can know that she's leaving."

Tears streamed down her face. She was pretty sure this situation was harder on herself than it was on Spencer.