Chapter 23 ~ Smiles & Cries

Start from the beginning

My legs carried me outside to the - for once - sunny weather. I didn't know what I was doing out there, but since my legs had control over me, I presumed there was a reason as to why I was heading in this particular direction.

The sun was shining through the almost none existent clouds, causing a warm sensation to shoot through my body where my skin was exposed. I took a right turn, almost instantly catching sight of the boy I had come to like so much sitting on a bench, his legs pulled up against his chest.

My heart sank to my stomach when I noticed he was crying. His curly hair was a mess where it was sprawled all over his knees, his face pressed against his kneecaps. It wasn't the sight of him that made me realize he was crying, it was the sobs that were escaping his mouth. They were barely audible, but if you listened carefully, you could hear them quite clearly.

My legs that had just been my compass started feeling weak, and I was soon struggling to keep myself upright. Chills were running down my spine, and I didn't know if it was due to the wind that suddenly blew up, or the fact that Harry might be crying for what he said to me. What if he didn't mean it?

Slowly, I moved my jelly-like legs forward, not daring to make any noise in case Harry would notice me and run off.

I was soon standing right in front of him, looking down at his slightly shaking body. Placing a gentle hand on his shoulder, he flinched and let out a loud gasp. "What are y-- Louis?" He said, mumbling the last part.

I sat down next to him on the bench and turned my head so I could look directly into his eyes. "The one and only," I smiled faintly.

His features suddenly hardened and he looked away from my eyes. "What are you doing here?" He asked coldly, making my heart pound in my chest.

I didn't like this, I didn't like it at all.

I took a deep breath, deciding not to care about his demeanor, and reached forward to caress his cheek lightly with the back of my index finger. "I was looking for you."

Harry swatted my hand away, looking down at his knees again. "Why?"

I ignored the tug I felt in my heart by being rejected and rolled my eyes instead. "Maybe because you just ran off after telling me you liked me?"

He bit his lip, still looking down at his knees. I waited for seconds, probably minutes for him to answer until I finally realized he wasn't going to do so. I let out a deep sigh, shifting my body so I was turned towards him. "Why are you crying, Harry?" I asked him hesitantly.

"'m not," he mumbled against his knee, still refusing eye contact.

I placed two fingers under his chin, forcing him to look at me. "I'm not blind, or deaf, you know? You have dried tear stains on your cheeks and I heard you sobbing when I got here," I told him, looking deep into those gorgeous green eyes.

He broke our eye contact, freeing himself from my grip. "I just hate everything that's going on in my life right now," he mumbled, barely audible.

"What do you mean?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows together.

He took a deep breath, looking at me through the corner of his eye. "I'm talking about the fact that my mom and stepdad don't approve of the people I hang out with... more specifically, you. Then my mom just hit me this morning. I don't know if you've ever experienced it, but I can tell you that it's something you don't want to go through. I'm also talking about the fact that you humiliated me in front of all those people yesterday. It just made me feel so... worthless? I don't know, but I didn't like it," he mumbled, looking at me hesitantly while biting his bottom lip.