19: Mission Report

Rose and I set down in the Tower, leaving the Ghosts to pilot the ships away and before meeting us. While they set about their tasks, we weave through the Guardians conducting business in the Tower on our way to Xander, the Bounty Tracker frame.

"Let's hope he's gotten some repairs by now," I muse, dodging around a tall Warlock striding with purpose toward Tower North. The butt plate of the sniper strapped across his back nearly catches me in the nose as he whisks by, robes fluttering.

Rose flashes him an irritated frown, checking her pace for a moment to walk beside me. "He should be alright. The maintenance team is usually pretty good about rotations and repairs."

"Do Frames need much? Maintenance I mean?" I ask, casting a glace at a bot sweeping leaves off the steps as we climb up beside the entrance to the Hall of Guardians and the Vanguard's Chamber.

"Eh." The Titan shrugs. "Sometimes they'll malfunction, like Xander did. He's always been a rather trouble Frame though. He used to clean the plaza."

"What happened?"

Rose stops, just out of earshot of the Bounty Frame. Lowering her voice, she said, "He used the wrong cleaning material. Burned right through the decking in the main Plaza. The team re purposed him immediately." With a pause, she gave the Frame's turned back a sympathetic frown. "Don't mention it though. He's very sensitive about it."

I nod, following her as we start toward him again.

"Ah, Xander!" Rose greets. "How's my favorite Frame?"

Xander turns, giving her an almost disdainful look. "Your name?" he asks flatly.

"Rose," she replies, still grinning. "Me and my buddy, Mora here, just finished up some Bounties. Our Ghosts are preoccupied, so we came to transfer data ourselves."

"Ghosts?"

"Lily, and..." she trails off, looking to me for help.

"North," I fill in quickly.

Xander gives a slight bob of the head, flipping through files on his tablet before finding and listing off the bounties Rose has completed.

"Mora, ability kills, Fallen, Cosmodrome Patrols. Task complete, confirmed. Additional tasks buffered. Complete bounties to..." he trails off, staring deadpan at me. "Improve my attitude?"

"Ahaha, sure, um... Just send whatever you got to North. I'll do what I can," I reply, chuckling nervously. "Say, Rose, I think the Ghosts are back now. Should we head down to Rahool now, or..."

"Nope, that sounds great," she says quickly. "Let's go. Don't want to keep them waiting."

"Thank you, Guardians," Xander says as we speed walk back down the stairs, sounding perky and happy, nothing like the flat dry voice a few moments ago.

"I hope they get him fixed soon. He seemed a little better. Wonder what's wrong," Rose muses quietly.

"Must be the loss of his dear mop," I lament, placing a dramatic hand to my heart.

"Don't tease the poor thing," she scolds, jabbing me in the ribs and I chuckle as we stop in front of Master Rahool's canopy tent. The Cryptarch stands facing away from us, oblivious to his surroundings as he tampers with a violet purple engram laid on the back table.

"We're back!" North's voice reaches my ears and I turn to see him bobbing along, the noonday sun gleaming off his white shell, Lily trailing behind.

"Got the engrams from the ship?" I ask and he nods.

"All four." Casting a glance at Rahool, his expression sours slightly. "Maybe we should speak to the Vanguard first. By the looks of it, this could be awhile."