16: Ex-Sparrow-menting

I let North fly us up, out of Tower airspace, while I took inventory in the hold.  Along with the Trax Callum and the first Khovostov, I have managed to collect three other weapons; a Hand Cannon, Auto Rifle and Pulse Rifle.  I frown and tucked them away, keeping the Scout strapped to my back.  I set the Calcutta aside to bring along.  My aim is not the most precise, but I'll improve.  Eventually.

I try on a new helmet that had been the product of one of the engrams dropped from the Hive.  It fits better than the first, doesn't jostle and pull my hair like the Prototype did.  The oxygen filters are more refined as well and easier to breathe through.  

Pleased, I set it down on the floor beside me, and sit to check the straps on my new boots.  They're tall but light, with kneepads built in, for which I am grateful.  Double jumping unpracticed is a hazard for any unprotected bones.  Both knees are rather bruised up as proof. 

My chest plate required some minor repairs from my battle with the Hive.   Getting the hang of meshing new fieldweave with the old was tricky, but the flight home from the Cosmodrome had given me enough time.  It's not pretty, but should serve its purpose. 

I straighten my shoulder pads and rock to my feet.   Pulling a strip of leathery material from my armor parts storage, I weave it around my hands and wrists to serve as a buffer between my hand and any weapon I wield.  Satisfied, I tug the Nagari cloak away from my throat, fastening it into little clips on the chest piece.  Tiny, but brilliant.  With the longer, heavier cloak, they will prevent it from putting pressure on my breathing. 

"We're going to break the atmosphere soon," North informs me over the ship's com channel. 

"I'll be up in a second."  I grab my sniper and slips through the doorway into the cockpit.  

"At last!" Rose greets over the comms as we break orbit.  The sound of her voice makes me jump, as the only one who has spoken to me through them before is North.  "I was beginning to wonder if you'd forgotten about me." 

"No," I reply, setting thrusters to go.  "Just had some trouble with the Bounty Tracker."  

The Titan hums and clicks her tongue, making my earpiece crackle with static.  "He seemed like he was malfunctioning when I went to see what he had.  Gave me three of the same bounty for Fallen!  Not that I have a problem with that though."  

I chuckle, trying to sound at ease as I dip the nose of the Jumpship down into the atmosphere.  Traveling in orbit is much quicker than flying under the clouds like we did the first trip to the Tower.  "We'll probably see plenty.  North, what's our mission?"

"Fallen, like you said.  They're everywhere.  The Vanguard's reporting that Fallen are tearing into machines all over the Cosmodrome.  I'm starting to think they aren't just looting the place." 

"You mean you think they're after something?"

 He nods.   "Whatever they're looking for, we should probably find it first."

"Agreed," Rose says.  "I wonder what it could be!"  

"There's no telling.  Especially if the Fallen know about it and we don't," North replies thoughtfully.  I wish I could even guess, but alas, North is too lazy to answer my questions and I owe Ikora a favor if I want into her library.  I sigh softly, then scold myself silently.  Patience.  

"Take us down here," North orders, jarring me back into reality.  I let off the power and tip the nose down, swooping in over the snow patched ground until the transmat kicks in.  I draw a breath of crisp night air as Rose appears beside me, stomping in a circle to crunch down the snow.