18: Golden Guns and Roses

Back on our Sparrows again, I follow Rose as we zip up the hill toward the Skywatch.  The road winds along a cliff that separates us from the sea below.  Far off, the golden touch of a pale dawn graces the horizon.  

The sea is so calm.  It's hard to imagine that I was nearly killed only a few minutes since. 

"Yeah, Captains are not really enemies you want to go toe to toe with," Rose says, breaking the silence.  "They have shields like you may have noticed." 

"I noticed," I reply flatly.  

She laughs.  "Anyway, their shields are blue right?  That's because they're Arc shields.  Some enemies have Solar shields and some have Void.  You know about those right?" 

"Light types?" 

"Yeah.  Or energy types in this case.  We just use the Light to harness them." 

"Then yes," I confirm, banking my Sparrow away from a pot hole in the concrete.  "Cayde gave me a run down on Subclasses while we were at the Tower."  A question strikes me as we shoot out from under an overpass and the road twists left toward the main collective of buildings.  "Speaking of which, which subclass are you?"

"I'm a Defender.  Void," she replies, letting off the power and gliding to a stop before a tall open walled building, an old parking garage or storage unit.  

Defender.  I wrack my brain for what Cayde said about Void wielding Titans.  "The one with bubbles?" I ask without thinking.  Immediately I regret it, hoping I hadn't offended her, but she only laughs. 

"Yes, bubbles.  The proper name is the Ward of Dawn, but bubble works just fine too.  Besides, Bubble is more fun to say," she adds glancing back at me as I dismount my Sparrow.  Leaving it beside hers, I jog to where she stands by the entrance.  

"Do we just leave these here?" I ask, casting a glance at the parked speeder, reluctant to leave it behind so soon after getting it.  

"I'll transmat it back to the ship," North reassures me.  Sure enough, a few moments later the Sparrow vanishes in a swirl of white light.  Satisfied, I turn and follow Rose inside.  

Like all the other buildings I have encountered, this one is dimly lit by old flickering lights and Fallen torches.  The integrity of the structure itself is.... questionable.  Very questionable, I think as I step around a block of the ceiling, long since fallen to the floor.  The ever present stench of Fallen is weaker here, as if they don't frequent this particular place as often.  Or maybe its because of the Hive.  

Suddenly all the shadows hide enemies and every flicker of the lights is a Thrall poised to leap for my throat.  Dispelling the thought with a shiver, I quicken my pace to catch up with the Titan. 

"So what were you saying about the shields?" I ask to break the eerie silence. 

"Oh yeah!" she exclaims with a shake of her head.  "So the Captains we've encountered today have all had Arc shields.  Some of our weapons can shoot bolts with elemental charge.  If you use a one of those against a matching elemental shield, if'll knock it out faster, and create a mini explosion when it does."  

"Handy." 

"Very," she agrees.  Just then Rose stops dead in front of me.  I lurch forward, trying not to fall into her, and manage to maintain my balance and step back, hoping she didn't notice my clumsiness. 

"What is it?" I whisper into the comms.  In answer, Rose raises her hand cannon and fires one shot into the dimly lit corridor.  Immediately there is a shriek and a hiss as the Dreg falls to the floor dead.  Two more leap from their hiding place and we open fire.