14: A Brief Respite

I will not lie, my encounter with the Hive chilled me in a way nothing else has.  Thinking of the way their shadow constricted on my Light sends ice up my spine.  

Night still reigns across the sky over the Tower as I make my way to the Plaza'a edge, resting my elbows on the railing to take in the view of the City.  North follows at my shoulder, glancing between me and the beyond curiously.  

"What are you thinking?" he asks.

"I'm thinking about how little I know."  I pause, and my Ghost says nothing, so I continue.  "Is this how all Guardians start?  Completely oblivious to everything?  Jumping into danger at every turn?" 

North gives a little shrug.  "More or less.  For the record, you're the one who went straight back out to find a Warp Drive and blew yourself up."

I chuckle, looking down at my clasped hands.  "True enough.  I just seems crazy.  How do any survive the early days.  I guess it doesn't matter if we die.  We just come back."  Those words trigger a memory.  I fix North with an inquisitive gaze.  "How do you kill a Guardian?  And keep them dead?" 

His shell slumps ever so slightly.  "There are a few ways.  You can destroy the Ghost.  We can't revive you anymore then.  That's the silmplest way.  The others are far... darker." 

"How so?" 

"You can also kill a Guardian by draining their Light.  Or the Light of the Ghost."  

I sit up straighter.  "That's possible?" 

Nodding, he continues.  "We aren't invulnerable, Mora.  The Fallen usually go for the Ghost, like they did with Rose.  She got lucky.  The Hive... eat light.  If that's not evil,  I don't know what is." 

"Why are the Hive on Earth anyway?  And the Fallen?  How did any of this happen?" 

North gives the impression of shaking his head.  "Those are big questions with very, very long answers." 

"Isn't it your job to answer my questions?" 

"Did I mention the fourth way a Guardian can die?  It's when they decide to be all smart and their Ghosts gets sick of it and leaves." 

I raise an eyebrow at his sass.  "No, I don't think you mentioned that.  How does it work?"

"Oh, you're insufferable," he mutters, and I laugh.  

"Where can I find history books?  Or files?  Anything really." 

North tips his shell.  "The Warlock Library.  Ask Ikora.  We can head down there now, since you have a date with Cayde anyway." 

My heart leaps.  I had nearly forgotten Cayde's promise to teach me more.  I turn to start off and run squarely into an armored body.  A yelp of surprise escapes me, but a strong hand catches my wrist before I can fall.  

Rose pulls me upright again, stepping back with flustered alarm in her eyes.  "Oh, I'm so sorry!  I was just coming to say hello.  Did I startle you?"  I notice a bit of a posh accent coming into her rushed words.  

"A little," I reply, spinning my twisted hood back over my shoulder.  "Are you alright?" 

"Oh, you'd have to do more than that to hurt me, believe me.  I'm completely fine."  The accent has faded now that's she's calmed a  bit.  "Sorry for sneaking up on you like that." 

I shake my head.  "Completely fine." 

North takes advantage of the lull in conversation to jump in.  "We were just about to come looking for you." 

We were?  I cast him a question glance, but he ignores me.  

"Really?" Rose asks in excitement.  

"Yes.  We wanted to know if you wanted to come along on our next mission."

"Where to?"  

"We have to investigate the Terrestrial Complex by the Skywatch.  You've probably heard the Fallen are hanging around there pretty tightly," North continues.  Waiting to see what he's playing at, I keep silent and listen.  "Last time we were there, we tried to make a cut through the Lunar Complex and got caught up with the Hive." 

Rose blanches slightly.  "Hive?  Here?" 

North nods grimly.  "We have to get in deeper to scout for Zavala, but we wanted to bring a second along.  Just in case." 

Nodding in agreement, she turns to me.  "Definitely.  I can't believe you walked straight in there alone.  You've barely been up for a few days." 

I shrug.  "I had no clue what I was walking into." 

"Exactly," she scolds.  "You should be more careful." 

"Yes, Ma'am," I reply amiably, not sure how else to respond to being parented by someone a foot shorter than me.  

"Where should I meet you?" she asks. 

"You can wait in orbit," North tells her.  "We've got business with the Vanguard and then we'll join you." 

"Got it."  She flips out a hand, and Lily appears over it, her pale pink shell, shimmering in the moonlight.  Rose gives me a last cheery little smile as the ghost prepares Transmat.  "See you there!"  And then she is gone in a swirl of blue light.  

Slowly, I turn to glower at North.  "What did you do that for?" 

He shrugs bobbing off toward the Vanguard's Hall.  "No reason." 

"Smart alec," I growl, following.