Chapter 38

Mesmerized, Alyra stood beneath the entrance gate. The city gently sloped up the hillside in a series of twisting streets, made from the same glittering rocks she'd followed throughout her journey. Colorful, grand buildings rose up on each side, adorned with wisteria, roses, trumpet vines, and sweet scented jasmine pouring down from the balconies and open windows.

Bezoar's words still taunted her. "How do you expect them to take you back now, Princessss? After you willingly left? After all you've done for King Darnel?" What would the King think of her returning with nothing except two scratched and dented medallions? One of them belonging to his messenger who'd been killed because of her.

Alyra hung her head. Why bother?

Gwynedd stood beside her, arms wrapped around Alyra's trembling shoulders. "Welcome back."

"What if—"

"Come, child, King Shaydon is waiting." Gwynedd tugged at her.

Gardens lined the walkways, budding with every kind of plant imaginable. Large tropical flowers and plants grew that smelled so sweet and tangy she wanted to taste them. Morning glories and honeysuckle spread over archways and brushed against her cheek as she passed. The city was filled with various manners of people and creatures.

"Do they all live here?" Alyra asked.

"Most. Mainly those who attend the Academy. Others are visiting, or have an audience with King Shaydon."

"It's even more beautiful than my most vivid dreams."

After the encounter with Bezoar, she'd awakened in a healer's house on the border of Aloblase. Jerin had remained by her side, while Katrina and Stitch continued into the city. A Logorian messenger showed up insisting Jerin also proceed into the city where he'd meet with the King.

Once Alyra regained full consciousness, and Jerin knew she'd be all right, he agreed to leave with his own escort. But not before making her promise to come as soon as her strength returned. The Healer's fruit tea had her back on her feet in no time. The next morning Gwynedd arrived to bring Alyra to Shaydon's throne room.

They crossed a wide stone bridge. Her escort's yellow curls blew in the soft breeze as she stopped and peered down into the crystal clear water rushing past. Gwynedd wore a flowing emerald green dress that offset the gold in her almond shaped eyes. A circlet of silver sat on her forehead, adorned with dangling emeralds and other jewels.

"Alyra dear, this is the source of the rivers you often stopped at for a drink or rest. It flows all through the kingdom of Alburnium, bringing nourishment to the lands and people."

Alyra remembered the day she and Jerin had drunk from the Dark Lord's bitter waters. After that fiasco, she'd learned to be more careful.

"Gwynedd, where are my friends?"

"You'll see them again soon."

"What about Lotari? Is he alive?"

Gwynedd stopped between two pillars of green jade. "All your questions will be answered here, my dear. One thing at a time. Are you ready to go in?"

Alyra looked around, wondering where "in" was. Between the many columns, a variety of trees, shrubs, and flowers grew, full of assorted bird songs. The sky was as bright as a midsummer's day. The river flowed from nowhere. She peeked between the pillars and found its source was a rather large pond, or perhaps a lake since the water continued on beyond view.

The dream, where she'd chased Issah right up to these pillars, came back to her. A memory, not a dream.

Taking her hand, Gwynedd led her along the path that stopped at the water's edge. The lake circled around an island of sorts where two white trees grew, their branches interwove into a canopy. They were the same as she'd seen in the Kingdom towns and carved into the meeting hall doorways. The yellow star-shaped flowers and strange red fruit filled the boughs.