Chapter 4

Princess' room appeared untouched since she'd left months ago, except for the few necessary items she'd taken to the dungeons. Earthen hues of red, gold, and orange hung from the iron bedpost and curtains. A carved mahogany desk sat beside the wide windows. On the opposite corner, tall glass doors opened to a balcony. The room spoke beauty and comfort. She'd missed the beauty and comfort. She'd not missed the reason she'd been able to enjoy the beauty and comfort.

Darnel rummaged through the gowns hanging in her wardrobe. He handed her a cream-colored, crushed-velvet dress trimmed in gold.

"This should do well."

She shook her head. This. Was. Not. Happening. Feed her to the dragon, but not... this. A shudder ran down her back. Not this. She hugged the dress to her chest, staring toward the balcony, wondering if she jumped... No, he'd stop her before she reached the banister.

"Don't do this Poppy, please, I can't marr—"

"Put it on. Now." He shoved her toward the dressing screen, not the least bit fooled by the sudden use of her pet name for him. "I'll send someone up later to fix your hair and face. You'll need to appear more mature." If his cruelty didn't disgust her so much, she might have once been able to like him. A time long ago, she'd cared a little, at least.

"Daughter," he spat. Inside her mind she heard his hissing voice demand, I will be obeyed. Do not force me to resort to brutal measures.

She quickly ducked behind the screen and pulled off her ratty dress. The clean one was stiff and rubbed against her skin. Wrong. All of this felt completely wrong. She wiped the dampness from her cheeks before coming out to face him.

"Ahhh, much better. There's a semblance of my daughter."

She winced.

Darnel grasped her chin so she had to face him. "I know this will be for the best." His voice grew gentle. Opening his free hand, he blew a glistening powder into her face. She tried to jerk loose. His fingers dug deeper into her skin, holding her steady. Despite the attempts to hold her breath, some of the sleep powder filled her nose, stinging, burning, then numbness.

She stiffened, bracing herself for the darkness. His finger stroked her cheek where he'd struck her, and a drowsy heaviness clouded her mind. She barely realized he'd led her to the canopy bed.

"You will come of age within the next summer. Until then, you'll help build our new city." He touched her temple, and her eyes grew heavy.

No, no, no. She sank into the silk pillows.

"Rest now, child, so you'll be fresh tonight. I want you at your best."

Her vision dimmed as a sense of falling, spinning, and blackness swallowed her. No, no... go away... no, I won't let you...

They came, the shadow creatures. Sharp claws reached for her, scratching, pulling downward into pitch black. Hissing voices cursed her with cutting names and accusations. Damaged. Weak. Unstable mind. Raucous laughter tore at her pounding heart.

She struggled against Master's will to form another image. The scene changed to a white city sparkling in the morning sun. Tall, angular, and stern-faced beings, glowing like lanterns, stood before a gate. She'd never seen anyone so beautiful except for Master, but he didn't shine with light as these creatures did. A sense of peace, warmth, and belonging filled her shredded heart. One of the light beings bowed, as if welcoming her to enter the gates. But before she could figure out how, the images faded, and she was back on the bed. She kept her eyes closed and listened.