Chapter 27

The Brownies swarmed from the carriage. Three held long ropes, the other three were armed with dart shooters.

Lotari grabbed Alyra's arm and shoved her toward the woods. "Get back on the path, now!"

"Stand still centaur!" Glen ordered, aiming his crossbow. "You're more valuable alive, but dead works for me, as well, creature."

Alyra was about to jump between them when the butt of Jerin's dagger slammed into the side of the man's head. His sword came out and sliced the nearest Brownie in half at the waist. Lotari had his bow out and loaded, taking down another small creature, but not before several darts landed across his chest and stomach. The centaur staggered backward.

Lotari's grey eyes met Alyra's. "They're laced with sleeping potion." He loaded another arrow, but his dart studded arms shook so hard, he missed.

"Jerin!" Alyra rushed to Lotari's side. "Help me."

She tried to yank as many out as quickly as possible. His horse legs trembled so violently, she feared he'd collapse right there on the road.

Jerin ducked behind his shield as several darts rained down on him. The poisoned missiles plunked off the metal.

"Get him back on the path, Alyra."

She pulled with all her might. Lotari stumbled.

"Lean on me, Lot. Don't stop. We have to get back to safety."

Edna stood on the driver's bench, reaching over the top of the carriage where she pulled out a spear. "Don't let 'em get away, boys!" She drew her arm back, pointing the metal tip directly at Alyra and Lotari.

Jerin kicked a Brownie so hard he tumbled away like a windblown hat. Alyra remembered how he'd sent the Okbolds scattering through the Yarholm bar room. As the spear left Edna's hand, Jerin moved in front of Lotari. The head veered off the engraved tree on his shield, but sliced across Lot's horse rump, leaving a long gouge. Spurred by the pain, Lot reared and galloped into the woods. Alyra heard his hooves clattering over the rocks before the drug finally took effect, and he toppled over.

The remaining Brownies swarmed. Jerin's sword flew right over their ugly heads as they ducked. Alyra ran for the white path. Two pursued her. When she hit the white rocks, a sizzling noise sounded from behind. She spun to find one of the creatures exploding into flames. The rocks!

Collecting a handful, she pulled out Jerin's slingshot and slipped a stone into the pocket. The sling swept circles around her head before she released, sending the projectile flying. The first missed. The Brownie growled yellow teeth bared. It pursued her, keeping a few feet away from the path.

She loaded a second stone. The Brownie jumped into a tree and began climbing, its sharp claws digging into the bark. If she missed, those knife-like hands might be digging into her throat next. The creature perched on a low branch and readied to hop down on her. She let the stone fly at the same moment it leapt. The stone connected. The beast flipped and landed directly in the middle of the path. Smoke and sparks shot up as a flame consumed the small body.

Lotari yelled out. Alyra turned to find her friend laid out on the path. Another Brownie stood on his chest, clawed hands extended.

Alyra grasped another stone in her hand. A warm glow flowed from its depths. She really could make them light up! She threw the pulsating rock with all her strength. Upon impact, the Brownie exploded into powdery dust, like the wolves had. For a moment, Lotari's eyes rounded into apricot sized circles before he passed out.