Chapter 13

The wolf-creatures edged closer, driving Princess deeper into the trees. She grabbed a broken limb and swung with all her strength. The beast ducked out of the way. The stick hit a tree and burst into pieces.

So much for that idea.

She braced herself for the ravenous carnivores to leap in for the kill, but instead they only advanced, pushing her toward a steep ridge. Their orange eyes burned into her, causing her mind to lose focus. The scent of campfire smoke drifted in the dank air. Her heart sank fearing if more of the pack of mutts waited for her just over the rise.

"Jerin!"

The lead wolf growled, black lips drawn over long teeth. It lunged. Princess ducked, tumbled over a rock, and landed flat on her back. Massive paws hit her chest.

A small object whizzed through the trees and smacked the dog's rump. With a yelp, it spun in the direction of the new attack. Jerin stood beside the strawberry patch. He reloaded his sling and released another stone.

Princess took the opportunity to crawl out of the way.

The second rock sank into the canine's forehead, directly between its fiery eyes. The glow dimmed as it crumpled to the ground. The other two howled charging for Jerin.

"Watch out!" Princess screamed.

"Get back to the path!" He reloaded his sling and knocked out another one.

She ran, not even sure which direction to go anymore. How had she managed to get so far from the road?

Three now surrounded Jerin.

He tucked the slingshot into his pocket and unsheathed his sword. As the wolf leapt, Jerin's weapon swooped in a wide arc. The blade sliced through the beast's flank. With an agonizing yelp, it tumbled over, lifeless. Two more appeared at the top of the ridge.

"Come on you blasted curs!" He stood his ground, feet planted firmly apart, the bloody sword gripped in his large hand.

Two blocked Princess from reaching Jerin. She grabbed another, longer stick. The log made contact with the side of the beast's head. A tremor jogged up her arms, slamming her teeth together. The second jumped, knocking her to the ground. Foul breath brushed against her cheek. She kicked her foot, landing a blow in the beast's gut.

"Get your dagger," ordered Jerin. "Kill them."

She reached over her shoulder but couldn't grasp the knife tucked inside her backpack. The air left her lungs when another wolf pounced on her back. Snapping teeth kept her hand from grasping the bag's flap.

Pained yelps echoed through the trees as Jerin killed another. She struggled to get away from the canine pinning her down. Jerin loaded another rock. When the stone flew, she covered the back of her head with her arms. His shot was sure. The wolf tumbled off.

Scrambling up, her boots gripped the soft earth propelling her forward. She ran so hard her muscles screamed. Jerin followed close behind.

"Which way?" She'd lost all sense of direction.

"Just run, I hear more coming. Hurry!"

With Jerin on her heels, and the two remaining demon hounds on his, they raced around trees, constantly searching for the white rocks in the dimming light.

"I can't see, Jerin."

"Keep going. Whatever you do, don't stop."

The pounding of his boots grew faint, then stopped. Remembering Dean's sacrifice, she stopped and found Jerin battling another oncoming wolf. The blade sliced through its throat, spraying blood. The last one plowed into Jerin, teeth bared and snapping.