Chapter 28

Darnel stood in the center of the black marble room before a red painted circle. He turned to the child standing across from him. Brown hair cascaded down her back, tiny ringlets tickling her pinched brows and covering her golden-brown eyes.

"But you said." Her tiny voice trembled. "You said never glow. You said glowing is bad. You said so."

"Yes, daughter, I know. But just this once. Do it for Poppy like a good little girl? And I'll never ask again."

"Cause my light is bad?"

"Yes, and your light frightens people. Your affliction is our little secret." Darnel began walking around the circle, chanting in a language she didn't understand. Fiery smoke billowed from the center.

The child stepped back. "Poppy, I don't want to do this."

He towered over her, face enraged as the flames flickered off his silvery eyes. "You will! If you don't, he'll destroy me. Then you'll be left alone. I won't be here to protect you anymore. That is, if, he doesn't come for you next."

Tears tumbled down her cheeks. She bit her lip to hold in the whimper. Poppy got angry when she showed weakness. When she didn't obey.

"You will wait until I tell you. Not a moment before and not a moment after. Understand? Everything depends on you not messing this up. Do. You. Understand?"

She nodded, holding her breath. Don't shine yet, don't. Wait. Wait until he says, then you can glow.

The chanting continued, his voice deepening, the floor trembling, a metallic smoke filled the room. Flames shot high toward the ceiling. Within the cloud, a form began to emerge. Darkness sucked the air from the room. Sweat tightened the curls plastered around her face.

Don't glow. Wait until Poppy gets what he wants.

The monster formed from what seemed to be molten metal, red-hot and orange in color. The eyes and mouth were black slits. "Whooo, calls me?"

Darnel silently pulled out a sword made of blue steel, the color of frozen water from deep pools. He swung the blade, slicing down and clipping off a chunk of the fiery monster. An earsplitting screech poured from the beast. Black sparkling powder fell over the floor and at her feet.

"Now," Darnel screamed as the fire exploded knocking him backward. The sword spun across the marble floor.

The child tried to ignite her light but fear clamped down on her heart.

"Now you insolent bug! Do it!"

The beast began spinning like a dirtdevil, turning in her direction. Screaming, a burst of light filled the dark room.

* * * *

Alyra bolted up, gasping for air and swatting at her wool covering. The campfire burned bright. She backed away.

"Easy, now." A hand grasped her ankle as Lotari came into focus. His gray eyes were so wide, the whites showed. "You're safe, sweetheart. You're safe. Take a deep breath and calm down."

She sucked in a lungful of air. Her heart pounded so hard she feared her ribs might crack.

"Alyra, look at me. Were you having a nightmare? You were... glowing, dear. Really glowing." He looked both amazed and horrified.

She started to draw her legs up to her chest, but he held her ankle tighter, motioning for her to come closer. As she scooted over beside him, his arm went around her shoulders. He sat up now, his horse legs folded beneath him. Perhaps he was starting to get movement back finally.