Chapter 6

The churning river dropped from beneath Princess. Her arms failed as she hung airborne for a fraction of a moment, then the air escaped her lungs and she tumbled down with the waterfall toward the white mist below.

"I'm going to die! I'm going to die!"

A shadow blocked out the moonlight. Above, the dragon fell with her, its great size causing the beast to narrow the distance between them. The moment its wings spread out, Princess reached out and wrapped her arms around the long, spiked tail. The translucent flesh of the dragon's wings caught in the rushing wind like sails on a warship and slowed their decent.

They plunged several feet into the swirling mist. Icy, sour tasting water filled her nose and screaming mouth. As the beast swam for the surface, she sought for a better grip, latching onto the downy hairs growing over its back. A golden cord tied like a leash around its neck provided the perfect hold as she rode the dragon down the rapids.

"Get off," gasped dragon over the roaring waves. "Get off me!"

Shocked to hear the beast speak, Princess almost released the rope. It bucked like a wild horse. She gripped tighter, too frightened to let go.

"You chokes me, pleeeaaase!" It not only spoke, but spoke in a child-like girl's voice.

"No!" Princess' knuckles whitened. "You'll eat me, too!"

Coughing smoke and sparks, the dragon made for the shoreline and dragged itself up onto the shore. Princess dug her heels into the crook of the beast's wings. No matter what, she'd not let go of the golden cord.

"The rope-" The dragon's eyes bulged as her long, claws clutched at the binding. "-hurts me... when you touch...."

"How do I know you won't hurt me?" She checked over her shoulder, wondering if she could still make a run for it. But how would she find her way now? How would she find Tarek, if he hadn't been caught trying to escape? The river had tumbled down into a lake at the bottom of the mountain basin. Tall, spiraling crags rose up all around like dark purple teeth.

How will I ever get down from here without being caught?

Maybe she should have stayed with Tarek and forgotten the messenger. Dean! His name was Dean. And Dean had sacrificed his life to give her a chance to escape. His medallion hung around her neck, the cold metal singed against her skin. She had to find a way to escape!

"I swear I won't eat you!" The young dragon started to cry. "Please let my leash go."

The childish whimpering tore at Princess' heart. "All right! All right! But I'm staying right here where you can't trick me! Understand?" She hooked her legs beneath the wings, and grasped the mane below the cord. The pang of pity that tinged her conscious was cautionary all the same. "Don't try anything, dragon, or I'll pull the rope until you stop breathing."

The drake's body expanded as it sucked in a deep, ragged breath.

Princess touched the creature's shimmering, glass-like scales and couldn't help but think how beautiful she was. Fine, flaxen tresses grew along her back. The pale blue silken wings were almost transparent. At the end of the tail were small spikes, resembling a goat's horn. Sharp and deadly if the young dragon got the notion to put up a fight.

"What's up with the cord, dragon? I wasn't even pulling that hard."

"He makes strong magic. I chokes every time I get too near the edge of the mountains. And if I even dare to touch it." The dragon took another deep, gulping breath, and settled on the rocky shore. Smoke puffed from her nostrils in a steady stream as she groaned, "I hate him. I should have never left my home! I should have listened to Gran-Maton."