"Good. Follow me." He led Jerin toward the garden.

Marya stepped from the cottage with a large shoulder bag full of food. She nodded to Issah as he passed with Jerin, then broke into a wide grin and waved. Alyra spun in the direction she was looking and spotted Lotari walking along the road from town, with his head lowered. Relief washed over her as she bound toward him, catching his left arm when she reached his side. The white bow was slung over his shoulder, along with a quiver of arrows. A knife and travel bag hung around his waist. Was he going somewhere after she and Jerin departed?

"I'm so glad you came. I was afraid I'd have to leave without seeing you."

He didn't look at her, but a small smile spread across his downcast face. "Well, it appears I'll be accompanying you."

She couldn't contain her happiness. She threw her arms around his waist. "I'm so glad, Lot. I so wanted you to come, too."

He patted her back but said nothing. Head still hung low he stared at the white rocks, eyes distant.

"You don't seem too happy about this, Lot. Are you sure?"

"Yes. I've made my decision. I'll not change it."

Jerin returned with Issah, his smile gone and replaced with a stony scowl. He glared at the centaur. Alyra let her arms drop but stayed at his side until they came to a stop next to Marya.

Lotari didn't acknowledge the boy either.

Marya held up the sack of provisions. "This should be enough to last a few days."

"Lot is great at finding food." Alyra wanted Jerin to realize what an asset the centaur would be.

"Then he can carry the provisions." Jerin motioned toward the centaur.

Lotari finally looked him over from head to foot, then stared at the bag as if it had a stench. Alyra noticed the purple bruise running along the right side of his face.

"I am no one's pack animal. Carry it yourself." Lotari snapped, moving backward a step.

Jerin's eyes widened for a moment before returning to their former scowl.

"I'll carry it." Alyra hoped to keep peace between them.

"If he's too good to help carry some of the load, he can fend for himself."

"Do not concern yourself with my welfare, boy." Lotari snorted. "I know how to find what I need without carrying a burden mile after mile."

Marya shook her head and gave Alyra a look of pity.

Issah stepped between the warrior and the centaur. "Well, that's settled. I'd like a word with all of you before you begin." They gathered closer to him, yet kept an arm's length from each other.

"Each of you possesses something the others need, which is why I have set the three of you together. Your journey will go quicker, and be more pleasant, once you all learn to respect and care for one another." Starting with Jerin Issah stood before each of them, and clasped their faces in his hands as he whispered a blessing over their journey.

"Help will be there when needed. Listen to your heart and trust the path." He bowed once more before heading west on the path. To their amazement, a group of Logorians stepped out of the woods and joined him.

Marya hugged each of them holding Lotari a bit longer and then standing on the tips of her toes to plant several kisses on his bruised cheek. His earth-encrusted fingers dug into the back of her shawl. Alyra wondered if he wouldn't break into tears over her shower of loving affection right there in front of everyone.