CHAPTER 9: I'm So Sorry!

CARRIE

         I'm not exactly sure what made me tell Hunter all that I did the other night. But something about being around him made me feel comfortable and safe. Even though the only other person I ever talked about Tanner to was Sam.

        Things between him and I are so far going really good. Except that lately, ever since I told him about Tanner, he seems to be acting a little weird.

        Especially today, he was acting weird and not like the Hunter I met and knew. Well, I knew little about him, but still. He was acting different.

       Tonight I finally decided that I had enough and thought it would be appropriate to ask him tonight what was wrong.

       So I went over to his apartment and knocked on the door. But right as I knocked, the door seemed to already be opened a little bit. To which I headed inside and started to call out for him.

        "Hunter?!" I called out and right away, I heard him calling from his bedroom telling me he just got out of the shower and was getting dressed.

         So I set down the movie and food I had picked up for us. And sat down on the couch and waited.

         Then I heard his phone vibrate against the coffee table in front of me. Which at first, I didn't bother to look cause I'm not one of those girlfriend's who doesn't trust her boyfriend. Though the phone kept vibrating for a while non stop, then as soon as I did take a glance down at the phone, I saw he had three missed calls and just now, a text message that said it was from a guy named Tanner.

          I swear, just that name makes me cringe. Though then again, how would Hunter know my Tanner? I'm sure it's just a coincidence. At least until another message is sent and again, it's from Tanner. So out of curiosity now, I take a look at it.

TANNER: I swear you better have found
                   the money. Otherwise, I will kill
                   you both! Once you find the
                   money from Carrie's place, then
                   you'll be done and I will take
                   care of her.

        I put his phone back down onto the table and stood up, then looked over at Hunter feeling pissed off and hurt as he came walking out of the room.

        He stops and looks at me.

        "What's wrong baby?" He asks.

        "I'm going to ask you this one time and only this once. Do you know Tanner, my ex that I told you about the other night?" I ask him while fighting back tears cause I feel so hurt at the moment and am hoping he tells me no.

         "It's not what you think." He tells me.

         "Just answer the question." I tell him again.

         "Yes. I know Tanner. He sent me here to find the money that you stole from him. Or at least that's what I thought before I really got to know you and heard what you told me about him, the other night." He tells me.

         "Are you in the same business he is?" I ask.

        "Yes. I'm the boss of my own crew." He confirms.

         I try really hard from keeping myself from crying, but suddenly, can't hold them in anymore.

          "You bastard. I can't believe I fell for it again." I say under my breath as I then walk passed him and suddenly feel his hand grab my arm.

          "Wait! I swear, I haven't texted him in a while. I'm not on his side." He tells me.

          "I don't believe you. And you have NO idea what you have just done." I tell him.

          Before he's able to say another word, I pull my arm from out of his hand and leave, while slamming the door behind me.

         I right away head into my room, collapse onto my bed and bury my head in my pillow and began crying really hard until I fell asleep.

*****************************************

        It's been a week since Hunter and I broke up and Hunter has been blowing up my phone, sending me flowers, and also buying me expensive gifts. He even quit the tattoo shop.

         I don't really want to see nor hear from him right now. I'm too busy trying to figure out where I'm going to move to.

         Running isn't always the best answer, but, when you have no trust in the law, what else can you do?! So I'm trying to figure out what to do.

          I do have an uncle who has lot's of money, but don't really care too much for his lifestyle. However, since he's the only family I've got left alive and whom I really do love and trust, I could see if he could help me out.

           Though I'm not sure. Luckily, my thoughts get interrupted from seeing Sam open the door and walk inside.

          "Hey gorgeous! Whatcha watchin?" She asks.

          "Nothing in particular. In fact, I was just thinking about a few things." I replied.

         "Not moving, right?" She looks at me with a pouting face.

         "I don't know. I was thinking of maybe having my uncle help."

        "Uncle Jones?" Oh my god, you know he loves you like his own daughter. And you could always ask him to take care of Tanner. I mean, I know you don't want to get involved with that stuff, but you don't need to be running for the rest of your life neither. Always looking over your shoulder."

           Damnit! I hate it when she's right and or makes a point like that.

          "Yeah. I know." I tell her.

         "Also, you know, I know it's none of my business, and I'm NOT at all defending what Hunter did. But he explained to me exactly what happened and then now, he's trying to find a way to protect you. He hates Tanner also." She says.

         "I'm not ready to talk to him." I tell her while getting up and putting away my cup in the sink.

         "Okay well, I'm going out with my man tonight and most likely will stay the night over there." She says.

         "Alright, have fun." I tell her as I begin to make some more tea.

         "I love you!" She calls out before leaving.

         "I love you too!" I reply back.

         Then after making my tea, I start to blow on it a little bit and stop when I see Hunter standing right in front of me, in front of the door.

         "What the hell are you doing here? Did she let you in?" I began thinking that Sam let him come in.

         "Yeah. But please. Can you let me explain?" He says with pleading eyes.

         "There's nothing to say. You lied to me. And even if it's not like it was in the beginning and you're against him, then you still should've told me." I tell him as I set down the mug and start walking away towards my room.

          Men can be so complicated. I mean, yes, women can be too and maybe I am. However, in this case, it's men, for me.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)