XIX. Cockroach Control

Start from the beginning

"As I have said, leave me alone," Nicholas growled at them all.

Ralph wanted to give his brother a blow but their mother was present and it was clear that the woman was still in shock. They had just told her everything they knew about Osegod. Whether or not she was shaken by the series of facts said to her, it was uncertain as she did appear quite composed.

"Did you know about this?" he heard Ysabella whisper to her husband. Wakefield reply with a simple, "Not everything."

He turned to Maxwell who was standing by the closed door. His brother nodded, understanding his question.

Ralph closed his eyes and turned to face Nicholas. His brother looked horrible and looked as though he had not had a bath in weeks. "Nick, do give us time. We have a lead on where Sophia might be."

His brother's head snapped, eyes turning to slits. Nicholas did not believe a word Ralph said. "It had been months, Ralph. That bastard has been keeping Sophie—"

"He had also been keeping Aurora and the child," Ralph interjected.

The room grew quiet. The only people absent were Ben, Margaret and Levi. Their two eldest brothers were on their way, but Margaret had apparently chosen to go back to Wickhurst to continue with her own investigation.

"Aurora?" Emma asked sharply. "Aurora Randolph?"

When none of the brothers replied and with Nicholas apparently in disbelief, their mother finally spoke. "Is there more you wish to tell us?" Her tone was one they rarely heard and it was that of controlled anger.

Maxwell, having sensed that he was better equipped to provide the information, pushed away from the door. "Aurora Randolph was Osegod's former mistress. She bore him a cretin and Osegod wishes to dispose of the child. The League managed to take Aurora under their protection but she was abducted around the same time Sophia was."

Ralph knew he could not have said it as matter-of-factly as Maxwell did. He waited for the bomb, the intense reaction from their youngest sisters and their mother, but it did not come. Ysabella stumbled back weakly, her husband catching her. Emma guided their mother to a chair before she straightened and turned to the brothers, her composure very much the same as Margaret's.

"You mean that the League took her and the child, intending to use them as pawns against Osegod." Her eyes narrowed. "Because there is far more about Osegod that the League desires to vanquish. He is up to something very horrid."

When no one spoke, Ysabella gasped. "Pawns! Aurora was our friend!" She let out a whimper. "She did horrible things but we allowed the League to have her—to use her and her poor child!"

"You did not do anything, Ysa," Maxwell uttered. "You, Emma and Mother are not to blame."

Lady Alice looked up and asked, "And Maggie?"

"Maggie is aware," Ralph said, not too confident to tell the women that their sister was a Leaguer.

"And how is the fact that Aurora has been abducted be a form of help in finding Sophia? How is that a bloody lead, Ralph?" Nicholas asked.

"She is dead," Maxwell uttered without hesitation, sending Ralph a look.

"Oh my God!" Ysabella and their mother cried out in horror.

Nicholas stiffened.

"But we do believe the child is alive and with Sophia," Ralph instantly supplied. "She was found by someone and the last words she uttered were to go and find help to save Sophia and the child."

"Who found her?" Nicholas inquired, jaw tight.

"Alex," Emma said with a gasp. "It was Alex! That is why she is under your care!"