The Virus

There’s…something wrong with me. I looked down at his lifeless body. A smile tugged at my lips. I couldn’t help it. I laughed. I laugh all the time, especially when things aren’t funny. I laugh if I get hurt, I laugh if someone else gets hurt; I just laugh. I finally pulled myself together and looked around me. I picked him up and dragged him deeper into the dark alley. Did I remember it? Sulfuric acid. That’s what I was trying to remember. It’s great for getting rid of evidence…if you know what I mean.

            I searched my pockets, listening to the soft sound of helicopter blades beating the wind in the distance. It was getting closer and closer. I looked up in time for a spotlight to glare down at me. I shielded my eyes with my arm and squinted. Debris from the alley whipped around me as the wind picked up. Something inside my chest burst and I ran.

            Heading for the sketchiest places I knew and keeping to the shadows, I ran for dear life with the helicopter hot on my trail. I couldn’t outrun a helicopter but I sure as hell could’ve hid from the spotlight. I spotted a broken down car parked on the side of the road and ducked under it. I held deathly still. The sound of the helicopter flew over my head and faded into the distance. Safe. I just noticed the dirt and grime I was pressing my body into and grimaced. It smelled under that car. That smell. What was that? Gasoline!

            Crawling out from my hiding space, I ran in the opposite direction. Seconds later the explosion hit me and I hit the dirt. Scraps of metal flew in my direction. I peeked between my fingers and watched the orange and red flames engulf the car. That could’ve been me. Once my heartbeat slowed I picked myself up and swatted away as much dirt from my clothing as possible. I grabbed onto the nearest fire escape and took to the rooftops. I was almost there when a light shining through a window above me caught my attention. Curiosity killed the cat, right?

            My curious eyes peeked through the window. Sitting on the bed with a book in hand was a guy I estimated to be right about my age. Oh he’s hot, I thought. I mentally assessed my situation. I am such a creeper! Shaking my head, trying to clear away those uncalled for thoughts, I continued my ascent. The guy happened to look up just as I was passing his window and we locked eyes for a fiery second. I bolted up the fire escape and took refuge on the roof. Those eyes…

            I glanced over the edge and saw his head poke out the window presumably searching for the creepy girl that was looking in his window at this time of night. I clambered to my feet and ran along the rooftop, jumping from roof to roof, my blue-black hair whipping behind me in the moonlight.