I rolled my eyes. "Who do you think pays your bills, kiddo? Santa?"

"Wasn't it uncle Keith?"

"No, I forced him to accept it would be me."

"Why?" Nice try, sis, nice try. Averting the subject.

"Because I'm your brother and blah, blah, blah. Now, where's the little shit?" I barged into the apartment, forcing my way past her. "You better hope I don't find him naked."

"There's no one ... and even if there was, I'm 19, Jakey."

I snapped to her, frowning. "And what's that supposed to mean?"

She grinned, coming closer to me, I bet to ensnare me in one of her giggly smiles, using my own heart against me. Damnit, she's learnt too much from me. "It means I'm an adult and I can do whatever I want."

"Sure you can, but that doesn't concern-"

"What? Sex?"

"Ahhh, don't say it!" I had to cover my ears.

She laughed. "I'm not a virgin, Jakey, you know that."

"Ugh, for God's sakes, don't say it." That awful sentence, I never wish to hear it in my entire life.

"Oh, come on ... I'm 19."

I growled. "I didn't give you permission to grow up."

"And since when you can control that?"

"Since always. Now where's the dead man walking?" God knows I'll fuck him up. He decided to play with the wrong girl. I scanned the living room, heading to the bedroom.

"Jakey ..." Serene followed me, which only confirmed me there was indeed someone she didn't want me to find.

"I tell you, Pebbles, if he's naked he'll leave this apartment with a few limbs less."

"Don't be ridiculous ..." Yet she ran after me, definitely to stop me from killing the whatever horny little shit that she's seeing. I should have known. She never wants me to come over, lately she comes to Boston instead of letting me here, and she claims I must knock before entering her place, because I might find a disturbing sight ... now I understand why.

And don't you even try to take her defenses. We had a deal. No adult stuff as long as I live.

"Come on, come on, buddy, make yourself known. Believe me, it's best if I don't find you on my own!"

"Jakey ... there's no one, really." Serene tried again. "Except-uh ... my roomie. She's sleeping, don't wake her."

I turned back to my sister, confused. "And since when you have a roommate?"

"Since my friend Bonnie started needing a place to stay ... I told you about it last week, but you were too busy staring at that girl while we waited to get on the Ferris wheel ..."

Ugh, not even you, sis, damnit. "I wasn't staring at any girl ..." I defended weakly, trying to delete the thought. Damn jealousy.

"That girl with hazel hair, you couldn't take your eyes off her, and-"

"Ahhh! Never mind! Just ... ugh, let's just go eat something." Is it my heart? Is it my goddamn heart aching? Is it ... is it heartache what I feel?

No, it can't be. I mean, alright, jealousy. Fine, I can accept that. But heartache? Why? Why on earth would I ever feel heartache? Duh, Tess and her stupid ideas.

So what? Silvia's seeing someone. What's it to me? I mean, yeah, it irks me that I couldn't get to taste her virgin skin, but so what? World's plenty of women, of all people I should know that. Okay, maybe this one was the first I actually had a crush on, but so what? It's not like she's the first one I care about.