Chapter 3

We land on hard, flat tureen, my legs burn from the impact. I look at my surroundings, the buildings illuminating from the dim light of the rising sun. Still holding hands, Tobias and I begin to walk toward the crumbling buildings. I wonder how they became this way. I think of how opposite this city is, one side is well kept, while the other is in ruins. It is a different world, it is now my world.

Tobias slows down and I look over to find him panting. He has been holding all of luggage. I take one of the bags, the new weight makes me feel unsteady and unbalanced. We finally reach a building that I have often seen factionless come and go to. It's rusty metal frame is exposed under it's crumbling shell. The windows are all broken, my footsteps crunch on shards of filthy glass.

I dare to glance to my right. Tobias's muscles are all tense, and he is biting the inside of his cheek. He is not just nervous, he is afraid. But I have gone through his fear landscape, he was never afraid of becoming factionless. That means that he is afraid of something else, something bad. We push through the heavy metal doors. The inside is lit with flicking dim yellow bulbs. The air smells like dust and mold. Cots and mats are spread everywhere along the floor. I see factionless mothers nurturing their children. Men and women running back and forth, up and down the stairs, each carrying out some task. Tobias and I are not even noticed as stand in front of this busy, bustling scene.

Finally someone walks toward us. He is tall, and muscular, his long blond hair sticks like a helmet to his head. His black eyepatch sits over his right eye, Edward. He draws me into a rather surprising embrace, hesitates, then hugs Tobias as well. "Were you kicked out?" Edward says excitedly. "More liked dropped out." I reply.

Tobias draws his arm around my waist protectively. "So welcome to the factionless sector," he claps his hands together, "I shook take you to the boss." I can feel Tobias's entire body get tense, his eyes are so wide that the rest of his face seems to disappear. Whoever 'the boss' is, Tobias knows, and he seems scared.

We are led up the narrow stairs, which is still packed with people. Though, when they see us, they make move out of the way to make us a path. All eyes are on us as we make our way up the steep stairs.

__________________________

By the time we reach the fourth floor, my legs are burning. I try not to think of sleep, rest, or food. We turn a narrow, dim hallway, and enter a thick wooden door. I women sits behind a large, wooden desk. She stands and walks around the desk. She has shoulder length, messy, brown hair. Her frame is lean and thin. She is tall, and her eyes, I know those eyes. They are a deep, warm blue. Her skin is slightly tan. Just like... No, it can't be. I went to her funeral. Yet, here she is, Evelyn Eaton.

---------------------------------------------

Hope you all enjoyed! Please comment and vote! :-)