newt au || good boyfriend - one

It's half past one AM as I'm starting this, so I hope it's okay. And I hope this meets your expectations, fangirlf0mhell, as you've requested this one.

Note: In this AU, Newt is a nickname, derived from his last name - surprise, surprise - Newton.

Your 5 am alarm went off and you were off your bed immediately, not wanting to take long getting ready.

Your boyfriend Newt will be picking you up in a half hour even though school starts at 8. Your father is a doctor, see, and he gets home at around six from his night shift.

Why does that matter?

Because you're not allowed to date till college.

You were perfectly capable of taking your bike to school, but Newt refused to let you ride the main roads alone. 

You fixed sandwiches for Newt and yourself while hobbling around the house getting ready.

At exactly 5:30, someone knocked softly on the front door.

Newt hated being late.

You grabbed your backpack and your paper bag of breakfast and headed for the door.

Newt was there, in all his handsomeness. He wore a grey sweater that hugged all his muscles with some dark jeans.

But that's not even the best part.

He was wearing his glasses today.

His hair was unruly, probably from him running his hand through it since he woke up.

He grinned at you. "Hey," leaning down, he pressed his lips to your forehead. "you look beautiful today."

You scoffed as you closed the door behind you. You were wearing your typical combination: a shirt, jeans, and an emergency jacket. You shrugged it off as the typical obligatory boyfriend compliment and let him lead you to the passenger seat of his truck.

"I bought coffee." he gestured to the steaming cups by his dashboard as he started the car.

"I made sandwiches," you lifted up the paper bag for emphasis.

He grinned your favorite grin. "Perfect." He was still grinning when he started driving.

Since you usually leave too early, he always drives around. And when you have time, he stops by the lake and you eat breakfast to some music.

And that's what he did today.

The lake and the music with him next to you made you feel like you were an error in a painting. Regardless, you sighed contentedly as you lean on his chest, sipping on your coffee.

"I can come home a little late today," you hinted, breaking the silence. "Dad's shift starts again when school ends."

Newt hummed in acknowledgment. "I reckon you want me to take you somewhere, love?" you heard his teasing smirk in his voice.

"Mm-hmm," you replied, still playing coy.

"I wonder where... if only I knew," he sighed, nuzzling your neck from behind.

"The library, maybe?"

"Good choice," you felt him nod. Your insides warm at his scent.

Coffee, smoke, and mint.

The radio changed songs then, and he smiled against your ear.

You shivered when he started to sing along.