newt || pretty

This was requested back in 2016 and was part of my 12 Days of Imagines special in December. :) Enjoy.

"Newt," you approached the focused boy, hesitant.

"Yes, darling?" he smiled at you briefly before turning back to whatever he was reading.

You joined him on the grass.

You've been in the glade for four months now and you and Newt took off almost immediately.

"Alby's having a hard time giving me a job but he said I'm too diligent to be a Slopper." you sighed, feeling him chuckle lightly.

"Well, do you have anything in mind?" he asked, setting down the paper completely and giving you his full attention. "You were quite good in the Med-Jack Hut."

"Yeah, but I just don't like mending people when it hurts them."

Newt nodded in understanding.

"Well... I made Minho a pair of gloves... he said I must have been into crafts before I came here.

I know you don't want me to work with the Builders-"

"Obviously," Newt scoffed.

"-so maybe I could build smaller things and groom the area, you know?"

Newt thought about it. "I guess. You can sew better hammocks and make this place look less like hell,"

"Well...?"

"Three days, shebean," he smiled teasingly. "Three days to prove you're capable then I'll talk it out with Alby."

You threw yourself at him, but he was strong enough to catch the surprise of your weight. "Thank you."

"I can deny you nothing," he replied.

It wasn't difficult to look for something to fix in the Glade.

You started with sewing blankets for everyone - the boys got sick often because of the cold. From your peripheral vision, you can see Newt helping the Builders lift the remaining heavy objects from the Box.

Deciding against ogling your boyfriend, you turned your back on him and continued sewing.

You heard footsteps towards you, but you decided to ignore it, assuming it was just Chuck.

"Hi, Chuck," you greeted, not looking at him.

A pair of arms captured your waist. "Do I look like Chuck to you?" he whispered teasingly against your ear.

You shuddered. "No, sir."

"What're you doing?" he asked, sitting next to you on the hammock, resting his head on your lap.

"Neewt," you whined, "you're distracting me."

"I'll be good," he promised, nuzzling his nose in your stomach.

You tried working again, but having your handsome boyfriend sniff your belly button isn't really a help.

"All good down there?" you halfheartedly teased, discarding your sewing frustratedly.

He only nodded slightly. "Very, very good."

"Alby will kill you if he catches you here." you threatened lamely.

"Will you tell on me?" he opened one eye to look at you.

"Maybe I will."

"No, you won't."

"Is that a challenge?" you grinned.

"I like it down here, don't make me leave."

You stood up suddenly, to shock him, making him lift his head only to land it back on the hammock.

"You're supposed to be mad at me for not doing my work, not encourage it." you chastised.

He just grinned.

"Listen, if you go now and save my ass from Alby, I'll make your blanket thicker."

"Deal," he got up and stood in front of you. "and don't worry, I'll save your ass from everyone,"

You rolled your eyes - but returned his kiss.

On the night of the second day, Alby gave you the job, seeing the many things you've improved.

You spent the whole afternoon sewing better bandages for the Med-Jacks while Chuck helps you with knotting together baskets for the Track Hoes.

A dot of red pooled the white cloth you were working on - apparently, you've stabbed your finger with the needle.

Deciding to see what Clint will do with it, you headed off to the Med-Jack Hut, only to see your boyfriend there, supervising their newest recruit.

"What a pleasant surprise," Newt only briefly embraced you, not being a fan of PDA, "although not as pleasant as the fact that you're in here for a reason..." he cocked his head to the side in confusion.

"Just a cut," you held out your still bleeding index finger for him to see. "the needle was a little rusted so it might have gone to my bloodstream." you shrugged.

"Just wash it with water, Y/N," Clint called from a room. "Although, you need clean hands for that."

You sighed. "Can you wash my hands, Newt? The cloth I was sewing was dirty."

He waved his hand, gesturing you walk ahead to the pail of water they had.

As he rubbed his large, calloused hands over your smaller ones in the small pail of water, you watched his focused expression.

His lips were tightened into a line and his brows were knit together. He held your hands as if they were so delicate and fragile.

It held no meaning to him, but you felt well taken care of. It was as though he was careful in doing things right with you.

It was as though you were precious to him - too precious to be let go of.

And that's all that you needed to know.