You Mean Everything - Chapter seven

Start from the beginning

"No!" I could feel the heat returning to my cheeks, "Why would you even.. No!"

Edd fell into another spiral of endless giggling, mumbling as he did so, which mostly consisted of, "You're so gay," and "Closet case".

In other words, the night was going great.

After an enormous effort of coaxing, and talking, I got Edd in the boat, who was still wearing a huge shiteating grin. I rowed us off into the sea.

As a breeze lifted the air, I ran a hand through my hair, pushing loose strands out of my eyes. Edd sighed, letting his smirk fade into his resting face. The only sounds for a while were the creaking of the boat, and the inky black water washing up on its sides.

Edd broke the silence, "So is he a cryptid or something?"

I hesitated before answering, "He hunts fish."

Edd raised his eyebrows, amused, "Excuse me, hunts? Is your boyfriend a caveman?"

"He's not my boyfriend," I said quickly, "We're just friends. I don't know how many times I've said that at this point."

Edd shrugged, that grin returning to his cheeks, "Whatever you say."

I shot him a look, then averted my attention to the sea. It was a bit restless tonight, the waves were more aggressive than usual, but that wasn't saying much. Of course, I couldn't see anything past its surface, but that was a reliable constant the ocean kept steady.

I could Edd was growing impatient, as the minutes rolled by he became more and more disinterested.

"So what drove you to wear that horrific jacket?" I questioned, trying to spark conversation.

Edd didn't miss a beat, "I didn't want to get run over."

I nodded, "But you seem to be forgetting- it's four in the morning."

Edd shifted a little in his seat.

"I didn't want to risk it, Tord."

"You didn't want to risk getting run over in the early morning hours of a tiny seaside town during the fall? Really?"

"Oh, shut up. You're wearing bright red jacket."

"Bright red? I wouldn't call this bright red."

"Well," He scoffed, "Red's a noticeable color!"

"So is green."

"Whatever. Bet you're freezing, anyway."

"Correct. But-"

Before I could finish, Matt had surfaced from above the water without a sound, just a few inches from Edd's head. The corners of his mouth lifted slowly, revealing his sharp teeth, and he placed a finger on his lips. I swallowed hard.