Chapter 2

That name. It all clicked, his voice, his face. All my confusion unraveled before my eyes. With my mouth agape, I fumbled for my words.  My mind replayed all those days when he was here. Memories flashed through my mind. Him getting pushed into a locker, people calling him names for being who he was. All he did was be himself and he was shunned for it. The "weird music boy", " the craptastic musician", "a worthless bass player." It tore him apart.

He loved music and until then he loved who he was. Finally one day he disappeared, moved away and hasn't been seen since. Everyone had their theories, the school just kind of collectively agreed that his parents got transferred or something, but I knew. I knew that he moved because he couldn't take it any longer, because he had lost the fight that was in him. But why is he back?

I had so many questions.  I regained my thoughts just to have them all spew out again. Our teacher Mr. Gilbert spoke up. "Assigned seats. Everyone please stand." We all grabbed our bags and stood. As Mr. Gilbert read off names, I kept thinking about Calum. God, he changed. First, he grew, like insanely grew. And may I say puberty did him justice.

"Hannah Lang" Mr. Gilbert spoke as he pointed his finger to a seat. I sauntered over to the chair not able to collect my thoughts. My mind sporadically jumped around from how he changed, to how he was the same, to why he came back. I just couldn't think straight. Everyday I watched this boy get pushed around, get judged everywhere he went. I never wanted his life, never wanted to get called names, get shoved around. The day I found out he moved I changed. That was the day I started this act.

A squeak of a chair knocked me into the real world. I turned my head to see what person I had to sit next to. It was Calum. A smile crept onto my face, I felt a certain wave of relief rush through me.

"This will be your partner for the rest of the semester, Next semester you will get to pick. Now we will be doing a lab based off what you should have learned last year." Mr. Gilbert flicked his fingers through the papers and he counted the number needed per row. 

"So," Calum started. He hesitated, I could sense that he was nervous. "Wanna help each other on ones we may not know?" I nodded. Science was my strong subject so I really didn't think I would need help.

The rest of class went smoothly. Calum and I finished first so we just sat there and talked. Never once did I ask him about why he moved or where. Although I wanted to know I didn't want to invade, and if I was him, I wouldn't want someone to either. The bell rang and for once I didn't want to leave class.

I reluctantly lumbered into my next class, history. Not my favorite class, but it prevailed to be easy. I glanced around the room and saw Allie sitting in a desk. I went over to her and sat down.

"Hannah! How are you?" She asked taking another sip from her Starbucks.

"I am great thanks! How are you?" I did actually like Allie. Her personality was nice and she always listened to what someone had to say. She never said a mean thing about anyone unless they really got on her bad side. That was how I wanted to be. But I couldn't, if Julia or Kate trashed anybody I would have to stay there and play along, pretend like I hated them too. Having an opinion never worked for anyone in this school, so I didn't have one.

"Fantastic!" Allie glanced up from her phone to answer, " Sorry just texting Jack." She had another boyfriend. That was her one problem she was a serial dater, always bouncing from guy to guy. For as long as I have known her, there seemed to be a guy plastered to her side. This fact saddened me. To think that someone is so insecure that they need to have a boyfriend 24/7, was way beyond me. But then again I can't judge her, what I was doing was no better.

History flew by. We pretty much just watched videos and reviewed last year. Now it was time for lunch. I walked to the lunch room and saw one thing I dreaded, so many people. None of them knowing me, the true me. I spotted Julia and Kate, so I headed towards them.

Out of the corner of my eye I spotted Calum. He wasn't alone like I thought he would have been. He was siting with to other boys. I sat at the table and Carter sat right next to me. Joy.

"Hey beautiful!" Carter wrapped his arm around the small of my back. I wanted to shake his arm off, get up and avoid him forever, but all the eyes staring at us forced me to stop. They all looked so hopeful. Was I really that good at hiding who I was?

"Hey Carter." I punched my fork into my salad. Lettuce with carrots and a dash of ranch. Low calories, just how they like it.

"Did you guys see the new kid?" Julia asked. Of course it was her, she starts the gossip.

"Yeah! I don't know who he is." Kate responded. The whole table looked over to him.

"Great job being subtle guys." They all looked at me.

"Well do you know him?" A guy named Chris asked.

"Yeah." I didn't feel the need to say more, but the way their eyes bored into me made me continue. "It's Calum. Calum Hood, the kid that moved away a while back."

"That bastard decided to come back huh? Why would he? Bet he is still a shitty musician," Carter said. When the words left his mouth my stomach twisted into a knot. Calum was a great, genuine person, why did Carter have to be such an ass?

"Hey! Calum! Yeah you!" Oh shit. Here we go. How were we supposed to stop stereotypes if douche jocks like Carter played them so well. "Why did you come back? Thought you could handle it? Mommy and Daddy get transferred back?"

I gave Carter a nudge with my elbow, but it didn't seem to phase him. "Still a little bastard that can't play the drums or what ever you play. You think that you can leave and come back and nothing would have changed? If so you thought wrong."

Carter turned around looking at his friends. They all giggled finding humor in this situation. The attention fed him, and urged him on.

Calum didn't seem phased. He gathered his things and stood up. He lumbered over to the exit with his shoulders held high. Before he left he turned and looked at me. His body said one thing, but his eyes said another. They looked into me as if to ask why. Why was I with Carter? Why did I hang around these people? To be quite honest, I didn't know myself.

And with that thought Calum left the room. I turned back to my lunch to see Carter with a satisfied grin on his face. My insides hurt, and my mind was racing. Thought after thought reeled through my brain. I couldn't catch a break from this. My mind screamed, it yelled, raging. Everything inside me told me to explode, to tell Carter off.

But for the what seemed like the millionth time. My body didn't comply with my thoughts.
___________________________
( hey guys!! Hope you like this chapter to. Leave me feed back in the comments and vote for it if you like it. Thanks so much for reading! )