Roderick had returned and stood beside Master at the door. The page let out a low whistle. "How does she do that? What's it mean, Sire?"

"It means, my dear boy, that we must keep her abnormality a secret. Imagine what people would think? Already they believe she is a freak and not of sound mind. You can see why I must send her away. For her own good and for everyone's safety."

"She's frightening, Your Majesty, for sure."

"Indeed." He let out a long breath. "Well, boy, did you do as I asked?"

"Yes, Sire. Sir Brollus is waiting in your study."

"Very good. Now, go inform the jailor that I'm depriving him of his assistant. Then find the boy's parents. Have them escorted to a dungeon cell for not keeping better control of their son."

Roderick bowed. "Yes, Sire. Anything else?"

"Call for one of the servants to come here before the ball and prepare the princess. Both children should sleep for a couple of hours at least. When I've finished my meeting with Sir Brollus, have Tarek taken down to the dungeons and locked in the death chambers. I want him awake when he meets the dragon."

The door closed with a click of the lock.

Bolting upright, Princess gripped her stomach as the sensation of free-falling into a bottomless pit remained. Her mind whirled. Master was sending her away with that beast-man. And Tarek to the dragon. She jumped to her feet. No, she had to find a way out this mess.

She went to the door and tried the knob. Locked, of course. The key was outside above the frame. Her forehead rested against the smooth wood. If only she had grabbed it earlier. How much time before the ball? She might try escaping during the festivities. Find a way to free Tarek. Oh why did he have to follow her?

Princess' forehead banged against the door. If she didn't know better, she'd think Tarek had wanted to protect her. Yes, if she found a way to escape, she'd need to free Tarek. And maybe the Messenger as well.

The Messenger might help her find the good king. Help her run to... what did he call that place? Aloblase. "Aloblase." The sound of the word sent a burst of pleasant energy through her aching body. "Aloblase? Home?" But even if the Messenger would help, how would she...?

Tarek! He'd been going on and on about letting him help her. Did he know a way to escape?

If she could manage to get out of Racah, and if the Messenger helped her reach Aloblase, maybe she'd find out where her real home was.

Reality hit her like a bucket of icy water. There'd be no way of escaping Racah. And even if she did, Darnel would find her with his all-seeing scope.

Tears burned a hot trail up her throat and dripped down her cheeks. Tarek and the Messenger would die tonight and she'd be married off to that stinky troll-man.

Flopping back on the bed, Princess' thoughts raced until her head ached. Perhaps she should give in to Master's demands. Her stomach twisted at the thought. She eyed the balcony. Perhaps she needed to end it all herself?

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. No, she didn't want to die. She wanted to be free.

Her dress rustled like paper as she went to gather her old clothes from behind the screen. From the hidden pocket, she took out the medallion. All these years she'd kept it hidden and close by. She'd not let it go now. Her finger traced the vine surrounding the tree. Messenger said a king named Shaydon had given it to her. An even more powerful king than the one who ruled this land. Messenger called Darnel an imposter. Squeezing the disk tightly, she silently wished for a way to get out of this mess.