Chapter 14: Magic

Colleen sat on her bed, looking intently at her phone. Eini was in the corner, her nose buried in a sketchpad and her hand making faint sketching sounds with the pencil. You lied on your stomach on the floor, flipping the pages in a history book you found. You all stayed in this position for a while until Colleen decided to bury her face on the mattress.

"Wh-s-e-oin-t-l?" she said with a muffled voice. You and Eini payed no heed to her. She sat back up. She glared at the two of you and groaned loudly, trying to get your attention.

You looked up from your book. "What is it now, Colleen?"

Eini glanced at her and closed her sketchpad.

"He wouldn't call!" she whined, hugging a nearby pillow and making a few, fake, crying sounds. "Why won't he call? I thought he liked me!"

You rolled your eyes. "You're assuming too early.." you said teasingly. "Plus, who knows? He might be busy."

She rolled off the bed and fell onto the floor with a- THUMP. "I'm sure he would have found a way if he really liked me.." she complained. Her hair covered her entire face. It was slightly damped because of a few tears that fell from her overreacting.

"(Y/n)'s right," Eini commented before burying her nose in the sketchpad once more.

Colleen huffed. "Oh, yeah, just go against me. It's not like your best friend is here, crying her heart out because she's just heartbroken."

"I think you have the wrong definition of being 'heartbroken.' I'd call it.. somewhere between overacting and acting like a baby." You tapped her nose gently. "I do know someone who also fell in love at a small café. She also had a problem with her relationship with the guy."

She grasped your arm. "Who is she? Where does she live? I wanna meet her. Finally, someone who understands my pain-"

"But," you cut her off with a stern tone lacing your voice, "her problem wasn't as childish as yours. It was really serious, as in dead serious."

She rolled her eyes and plomped her head on a pillow on the floor. "And I thought you were nice.." she whined and playfully shoved you to the side.

"I am.. but not when a person is purposely trying to gain my attention when they know that it infuriates me."

She popped back up and looked at you with a pout. She was about to say something when- ring ring. Without any hesitation or second wasted, she dashed over to her bed, grabbed her phone and pressed the answer button. "Hello?" she eagerly greeted.

"Miss Ecclestone, we would like to inform you that you were not able to pass the auditions for the Theatre club. We are truly sorry," the caller said. Their voice was regretful. "There's always next year though! I'm sure you'll do better by then. That is all. I'm sorry if I disturbed anything. Thank you."

Colleen was disappointed not only because of the person who called, but because of the fact that she didn't pass the auditions. "O-okay. Thanks for letting me know. Bye," she answered. She layed the phone on the bed and hung her head low. "This day just keeps getting worse and worse.."

You looked at her sympathetically. "Why? What happened?" you asked as you sat down beside her.

"I didn't pass the auditions for the Theatre club!" she said bitterly. She threw a pillow which accidentally fell on Eini, causing her to mess up her drawing.

Eini glared at the perpetrator but immediately softened her gaze, seeing Colleen's shaking form. She stood up from the corner, leaving her stuff behind, and hugged the brunette. "It's going to be okay," she muttered as she rubbed circles behind Colleen's back. "Hey, don't cry. There's always next year."