-Eight-

"Guess what!" Lisa sounded over enthusiastic about something. "What?" I asked in a bored tone but she didn't seem to take notice of my disinterest. "Theodore asked me for the dance! Our friend Theo! It's such a rare moment when your lifetime crush asks you out" she went on. "That's amazing, we should celebrate!" I flashed a genuine grin and went to the fridge to scoop some ice cream for the two of us.

"Why do I feel like you already knew?" Lisa came near me and asked. "Because I did" I smirked and broke into a laugh after minutes of self control. "What! Who told you?" she asked me with a look of self pity. Sometimes I wondered how dumb she could get. "The Greek cupid guy with the bow and arrow, well I know him personally. He arrived and told me the news" I giggled. "Theo told you, didn't he?" she looked at me. "Why is it that I always fail to surprise you?" she scowled. "Well maybe this is why you shouldn't have such a genius as a friend" I said, handing the bowl of ice cream to her.

"Eh who cares if you already knew, I'm still going with Theo!" she pulled me into a hug and moved around joyfully. "Save your energy, the dance is after a week" I laughed. "Yeah, we'll go shopping for dresses tomorrow" she told me. "I'm not so sure about myself" I said as I moved to keep the ice cream tub back in the refrigerator. "What do you mean by 'not sure'?" she asked me. "I mean no one has asked me yet" I broke the news to her. She looked greatly upset.

"I thought Dan had come over to talk" she said, her voice almost a whisper. "Yes he had, but just to talk" I informed.
"What did he say?"
"He talked about how Scarlett feels all lonely and he thinks it's his duty as a friend to cheer her up" I said, although I didn't really want to bring up the topic.
"That's all crap! What's wrong with that female? Why can't she just stick to one guy!" Lisa's voice shot up with frustration.

"Chill Liz, there's much more to what you are thinking right now" I sighed and explained the whole 'he-knows-her-for-a-long-time' situation. "So he's going to the dance with her!?" she asked me, shock reflecting from her eyes. "I don't know, probably yes" I said sadly.

"No one upsets my girl!" she declared. "Let's go to that Daniel and Scarlett and sort things out!" she said confidently. "Dude, it doesn't work that way" I stifled a laugh looking at her exaggerated reactions. "If some things are bound to happen, guess what, they will happen" I told her.
x-x

'Hey' there was a text from Matt in my phone notifications around three days later. I found it quite strange the way he had texted for the first time since we had exchanged our numbers. So I called him. "Hello, good afternoon" he greeted from the other side. "Hey how are you? Long time no see" I said. "Yeah" was all he said. His voice didn't include his usual charm. "Anything you want to tell me?" I asked him. "Yes" he said in a voice he didn't want to be heard by anyone around him.

"Go on, what is it?" I questioned. "Dan wants you to visit, he wants to talk" he told me.
"Now?"
"Yeah if you can"
"I have some homework to complete, so I guess I'll be there in half an hour if that's fine with you"
"No probs, bye" he said and cut the call.

Dan wasn't at home, so Matt sent me an address at which I reached five minutes later than decided. Locking my bike near a pole, I sprinted towards where I had spotted Dan standing at a distance. "Hey, sorry I'm late" I said between my tired breaths as his back faced me.

"Serena?" he turned to me. One look and I could clearly make out that he had not been fine. "Have you been crying?" I asked looking at his puffy eyes and pink complexion. He didn't answer to my question. "Why have you come here?" he asked, making no attempts to hide his emotions. "Me?" I asked out of confusion. "Who else would I address?" he stated the obvious.

"I thought you wanted to meet" I replied truthfully, the look of cluelessness still on my face. "I would like to be alone for some time" he said, looking at something distant. He was clearly misinformed about the meeting.