31. BUCKY: You and Me

Start from the beginning

"So it's a professional thing," you try to reason wistfully. All the while, your heart is thundering helplessly in your chest.

Bucky shakes his head. "Not really..."

"Wow." Steve hums before going on to say, "That's surprising."

"Why?" Bucky replies, his eyebrows furrowed.

You decide to answer for Steve. "Because you never made any indication that you wanted to date anyone, let alone ready for that type of thing. Are you sure you're ready?"

"Yes. I'm sure." He pauses, eyeing you skeptically with those insanely gorgeous baby blues. "Why? Do you have some reason to think that I shouldn't go?"

You grit your teeth. "No. I just want to make sure that you're sure." You have to bite your tongue to keep from going on. You want to scream at him—to tell him not to go. You want to slap him in the face and force him to look at you the same way you look at him. You want to throw yourself into his lap and make him fall in love with you like you've fallen so hard for him.

But none of that happens. Bucky stands up from the floor with a slight smile. "I gotta go get ready. I don't wanna be late. It's been a while since I've done this, but I don't think showing up late would be a good thing."

Steve smiles gently at his friend. You know something's up with Steve. He should be acting more excited. And if this was about Bucky's health, he would've said so. No, this is different. Steve isn't happy about this date, but you're not sure why.

"Well, have a good time, jerk."

Bucky smirks. "Thanks, punk." He stuffs his hands in his jean pockets before looking down to where you sit—now so much colder without his body heat beside you under the blankets. "You okay if we finish this some other time?"

"Yep." You keep it short and sweet while trying so hard not to be salty.

Bucky smiles, seemingly blind to your heartbreak. "Thanks, doll. And don't forget about our workout tomorrow afternoon. I'll treat smoothies this time."

"Okay."

Bucky leans down to squeeze your knee softly before he leaves. He then disappears from the game room with his hands in his pockets and hair swishing in the air behind him.

It's very quiet after he's gone. Then suddenly, Steve decides to speak.

"Y/N," his voice is gentle and meek—almost as if he's afraid. You look over at where the large man sits in the comically too-small beanbag, but don't find it nearly as funny anymore. All you can think about is Bucky and that other girl. "Are you okay?"

You're almost shocked by Steve's question. But then again, he is one of your best friends. He's probably known you've fallen in love with the other best friend for a while now.

"What are you talking about? I'm fine." You roll your eyes and get up from the chair. "Kinda stupid to keep hanging out here though if he's gonna be gone. We'll play tomorrow or something. Or maybe not. I don't know." Angrily you shut off the machine.

Steve watches you with a face full of pity. He rises to follow you towards the door. "Y/N, if you wanna talk about it..."

"Talk about it? About what? Bucky's date? Hell I don't care about his date. I don't care one bit. Not about him or the bitch he's taking out. Nope, not at all." You impatiently pound on the elevator call button and wait for it to arrive. "God, why is this thing so fucking slow?" you grumble to yourself impatiently.

Steve lets out a long, exasperated sigh. "I need to go see Stark. But if you need anything, just give me a call." He watches the side of your face. "Alright?" His hand touches your arm.