Chapter 34 - Vivaldi

-November 24th of 1963

Vice of the Investigation Unit Gauthier enters the study of the Duchy of Hyacinth. Inside a group of dark pale faced individuals in dark clothing are gathered within, the family resemblance is rather evident.

Vice Gauthier heart trembles for a moment at seeing the Generals seat occupied. A gnarled woman of ninety years old seats at the desk, but her ancient dark eyes gleam with fire. Vice Gauthier clears his throat and says, "Great-grandmother, are you well?"

"I'm alive, aren't I," the elderly woman snapped back.

Vice Gauthier nods in agreement as he winces. There was a reason why he limited his visits back home. The head of his family was their still living ancient matriarch, Grandmother Eloise.

Grandmother Eloise narrows her eyes as the rest of the family's eyes turn towards the man at her side, greying but incredibly tall, the thin man says, "Gauthier, how have you been? Your younger sisters miss you."

Gauthier winces at his father's reminder. His sisters were scarier than him. Gauthier smiles wanly in response at his father, Rivaldo Vivaldi. The older family members eye Gauthier for his lack of verbal response.

"Enough, to the matter at hand," Grandmother Eloise retorted as the family ceases their glaring. "Gauthier, your father was granted the Duchy of Hyacinth, which I am certain you are already aware of. But his majesty would have never considered the Vivaldi to fulfill the position. What did you promise him, Gauthier?" Grandmother Eloise menacingly said.

"Nothing grandmother. Tis was not I but the general," Gauthier firmly responded.

"What does your general have anything to with the conferment of the title?"

"A boon by the King."

Grandmother Eloise frowns at the response. What kind of favor would the King still owe a convicted criminal to repay with such a boon? "Then what does your general want in exchange?" Grandmother Eloise harshly asked.

Gauthier is silent for a moment before carefully responding, "Grandmother, the general is aware of my abilities and has made use of them," at his words his family stiffens as he hastily continues, "But in terms of gathering intelligence with the use of spirits as an undead army is of no use to the general. The general sees war and battle as a right for the living."

Gauthier gages his grandmother for a reaction as he speaks, "The general merely has two conditions to be fulfilled, the continued renovation of the Duchy and that the Vivaldi properly rule the duchy. The general poses no other conditions in-exchange and will provide the needed funds to fulfill said conditions."

Grandmother Eloise frowns with suspicion. "Boy, I have seen empires tumble and rise in the space of my lifetime. There is no such thing as a free favor, I ask once more, what does your general ask of us?" Grandmother Eloise demanded to know.

"Nothing else grandmother, but the families' loyalty," Gauthier swiftly answered.

"Fine, what are the terms and conditions that constitute for said loyalty?" Grandmother Eloise cackled in triumph.

"The general requests are law and betrayal will not be tolerated," Gauthier answered.

Grandmother Eloise snorts. "Very well, I see no lose in the family accepting such a bargain, but there are limits to what constitutes as request. No murder or anything that will see us hanged," Grandmother Eloise firmly stated.

Gauthier weakly says, "I am certain the General will agree," and turns on his heels.

"Wait!" Gauthier freezes as the elder voice coldly says, "There is a matter of punishment for your disobedience. Everyone out, right now."

The dismissed family soundlessly flees as Gauthier remains alone with the tyrannical figure. Pale faced, Gauthier waits to face his grandmother's wrath. The old woman begins to ruefully grin at him.

"Boy, well done on finding the family such an excellent patron. I could not have done better myself," Grandmother Eloise sincerely said.

Gauthier gapes as Grandmother Eloise adds, "Don't let this go to your head fool. But you did well as such you may continue to serve your general in the capacity you have been serving. Also, inform your general, that if she adds new conditions, we will require further payment for our services."

"And why would the general do so? Gauthier curiously asked.

Grandmother Eloise snorts and grumbles, "Your general is as cunning as me. No doubt, your general will require some of our other services someday. Besides I've seen it in the tarot cards," the elderly matriarch responded as Gauthiers eyes widened, the matriarch was famous for her readings.

"No off with you boy," Grandmother Eloise shooed Gauthier as he hastily departs to send word that negotiations were successful.

The door clicks firmly behind him as Grandmother Eloise pulls out a pack of worn cards. With smooth actions, she shuffles the cards and cuts them. With great care, she places five cards facing down in an arc from left to right.

Grandmother Eloise turns the first card representing the present position, the Tower. Present desires, the Sword. The unexpected, the Devil. The future, Death. The outcome, the Wheel of Fortune.

Grandmother Eloise trembles as she studies the cards. Death would follow in lieu of that woman as she and the enemy would vie for power. For the outcome was not something even she could predict with her power.

Tired and worn, Grandmother Eloise hands tremble as she gathers her cards. With a tired sigh, she rings for her maid as her maid worriedly appears and aids her to her feet. As Grandmother Eloise hobbles away she feels a strong presence behind her.

Grandmother Eloise spins around and for a moment a smiling red head woman sits there. In the next blink of an eye, the illusion is gone. Grandmother Eloise narrows her eyes as she nods to the chair before being escorted out. A good cup of tea would go a long way to smoothing her nerves.