* Chapter 17.2 - Appearances

~ POV of Queen Florence (Queen of Alyssum and new royal mother of Lena) ~

With a smile, Queen Florence removes herself from the court and return to her quarters. The maids undress and ready her for bed. With a casual flick of her fingers, the maids hurriedly excuse themselves.

Queen Florence seats herself on her favorite couch and leisurely serves herself a chalice of wine. The queen snorts to herself how easy it was to manipulate the girl into accepting the tiara. Though no matter she studied the girl, she did not see a general but merely a girl with a pleasing figure to the eye.

Queen Florence could only conclude that the girl's triumphs were flukes or was there someone else aiding her from the shadows. Yet the question was who?

As of late, there had been many forces interested in their humble kingdom. But there was no harm in allow the girl to thrive until she outlived her usefulness. It would be easy to be rid of her by sending her far, far away as someone's woman.

Queen Florence recalls the circumstances for her own political marriage. Though beautiful she could not compare to the beauties of Apone to gain the affection of her countries Crown Prince. As an earl's second daughter even if her father was the kingdom's spymaster it would have been impossible.

But opportunities arise if one keeps their eyes open. By sheer chance, a foreign kingdom's prince was to participate as an ambassador in Apone. As an earl's daughter, it would have been difficult to approach the foreign prince. But with aid of her father, she had gained the attentions of the young prince.

With glee, she accepted the foolish prince's proposal to become his Queen. Finally having her desire for power quenched Florence readied herself for her political marriage. Before leaving, her father, the Spymaster of Apone had given her one last order. Though Alyssum was no danger to Apone, time had a way of changing things. In the case, that Alyssum ever dared to raise its claws against Apone, Florence was to crush the opposition.

And so, she had all these years. Not by the usually means of spying, but rather Queen Florence had weakened Alyssum. Alyssum was by no means weak as it could fend off the advances of its adversaries, but Florence had weakened the power within Alyssum sufficiently that Alyssum could never possibly rise against Apone.

A shadowy, large figure easily climbs through the window as Queen Florence lazily appraises the figure that had been entering her chambers for the last ten years.

The large figure kneels before her and says, "Milady, all is going as planned. The rumors are being spread even if the nobles no longer dare cause unrest. Nonetheless, the rumors will provide ample cover for our own movements."

"Good, then everything is going as planned. But take care, I do not want a slip up like last time," Queen Florence icily stated.

The shadowy figure nods as Queen Florence pulls the hood back to reveal a manly, strong face man with pepper streaked hair, that of General Tiberius Kingley. Queen Florence his face towards her as she places a passionate kiss on his lips as he easily responds in turn.

Men were so easy to toy with. And a well-placed pawn can be stronger than a king, but sooner or later the time will come when a pawn must be discarded.

With a smooth movement, General Tiberius Kingley carries her off to the bed. Breathlessly she pulls him onto her as he hungrily pulls open her sleeping gown. She lets out a soft moan as his hands rake over her. Everything becomes hazy, forgets herself in more pleasurable things.