* Chapter 13 - All-Hollow's Eve

-October 31st of 1312

Lena sips some rose tea as she munches on a cookie, while reading some reports. Lena knew Holly is going to scold her about eating and working at the same time, but frankly she was in no mood to pay attention. Maybe, Holly sensed Lena's foul mood, because she did not utter a single word of protest as she places a piece of cake in front of Lena, before silently leaving.

Suddenly, the communication crystal ball begins to shine as it releases a small beam of light which expands into a large screen in front of Lena. (Largely thanks to Gadrin, who figured out to privatize the system and allow access to only certain communication glass balls. Much like a phone, you must know your parties number to reach them.)

Lena puts her food down as the screen shows her father and his majesty before her.

Her father bitterly says, "We were too late, Lena, they've already made their move."

His Majesties cheeks are tight denoting his anger in a cold voice he adds, "General Byron household has openly defected to the Kingdom of Cypress. Other noble houses have begun to move to join them."

Lena frowns in understanding. Cypress will protest that they are merely offering asylum to a persecuted people and our kingdom will be unable to protest nor ask for their return. We could try to prosecute them for their crimes, but it won't work since the Kingdom of Cypress will never allow such an event to occur.

"Can we prevent the movement of other households?" Lena softly inquired.

Her father shakes his head regretfully and replies, "Not without declaring the kingdom in a state of emergency, which will only cause mass panic among the general populace."

"Well, we are still at war with Cypress even though we are currently under ceasefire as the peace talks continue. But it is unacceptable to wait considering the potential consequence that may arise if we allow an open rebellion to take place," His Majesty matter-of-factly added.

Rising his gaze, His Majesty firmly orders, "General Bartholomew, you are hereby ordered to declare attack upon Cypress. I will make the official announcement in an hour, you have then to prepare."

Lena taciturnly answers, "It shall be as your Majesty orders."

The call ends as Lena rises to gather the officers to mobilize the entire army. All-Hallows eve, certainly was living up to its name. What better day to fight for the dead?

Lena studies the gathered officers. "Assignments: Corporal Ace is to remain behind defend the fort.

Captain Darrell, will lead the left flank, while I lead the center of the formation and Lieutenant Jones, leads the right flank.

Master Sergeant Robertson, you already have your assignment along with Chief Officer Gauthier. Are there any questions?"

The men all firmly shake their heads. "Good, then. I only have one request, try not to die. I would so hate to have to replace you, seeing as I have grown rather fond of all of you," Lena truthfully said as she looked them in the eyes.

A moist sheen appears in their eyes as they all salute their general with a burning fervor. Lena firmly says, "Then gentleman, let us march."

The officers silently follow as their footsteps sound far heavy or perhaps far too light for the burdens they carry.

Lena pauses as all the soldiers turn to face her as the fort fall's abruptly silent. Lena gazes at their expectant faces full of hope and fear.