* Chapter 30 - Leads

The Investigator Unit members had come back with three potential more targets. Though it couldn't be discarded that not all the intended victims had been found as thefts had not been reported or found. Having contacted the locals and old acquaintances they asked around on the street as the streets were known to take care of their own.

Yet no leads came up as even the worst of men wouldn't dare openly leave corpses in the open nor kidnap a noble's daughter without collecting the ransom. Even thieves and murders had their own code. All in all, every rumor only led to fruitless leads exhausting the Investigation Unit members who were only running on fumes and divine miracles.

Barclay taps his forehead in frustration as the rest of the sleepless members stare at the chalkboard. They only had one day left, before the next girl was taken and Patricia was found dead.

Liaison Gauthier via autopsy confirmed the times of death only being an hour or two before the next kidnapping. But unfortunately, his spirits were of no use. The killer had covered his tracks too well. Paranoia or something more, the killer had cleaned the bodies with holy water removing the link of emotion to the corpse. The soul could not be recalled under such circumstances.

Dolly would have been of a great use to them, but alas she was at the Bartholomew manor with her family. Her participation would have cast a shadow on the unit's investigation for being the former attendant of the general. In the end, they would be forced to rely on their own skills.

Liaison Gauthier runs his eyes once more down the details written. His eyes linger on a detail that had particularly stumped him. Liaison Gauthier stiffens and suddenly says, "What if we are looking at this all wrong? What if the holy water is a clue?"

Barclay and rest frown as Anais perks up in understanding. "How many persons have access to Holy Water especially to the amounts needed to cleanse a body?"

"But we can't exactly go about asking such questions, can we?" Meric flatly said.

"No, but we can ask for a tour or better yet an enlightenment," Marie chimed in.

"Anais and Marie, the two of you head off that way," Barclay said as the two women swiftly rose to their feet and rushed away.

The rest of the group thumps their head as they think. John suddenly grunts and says, "A guard."

"What?" Barclay asked as the rest of the group turns toward him.

"A guard is our killer," John firmly said again.

Liaison Gauthier mutters, "Yes, he would have access to the crime scene and could tamper with any leftover evidence. Military training and strong, but a motive?"

"Lust for power," Meric growled.

"Yes, but why?" Liaison Gauthier asked.

Styr rises to his feet and says, "For the feeling of power and dominance. The right to destroy or dictate a human being's life."

Barclay nods and says, "A noble then. They're the most self-entitled bastards I know. There can't be that many nobles in the guards. Liaison Gauthier and Meric, quietly ask around for nobles among the guards. John and Styr, ask about on the streets about rumors of guards. As for the rest of you, we're going to think up of a plan."

The groups rush to fulfill their tasks as Barclay leads the session in strategy planning. Though Barclay felt that there was more to the story in regards to the Church of Light. After all, the general had tricked the local priest out of the Duchy of Hyacinth.