ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ

My penthouse that looked over Manhattan could have been filled with luxurious furniture and fur carpets but instead there were minimal things. A lonely couch sat in the living room that was empty. The light grey walls were blank with not a single thing on them. It looked as if no one had lived here in ages but it was just I never had time to make it mine.

I closed the black door behind me as Jack walked ahead rubbing his tired little eyes as he yawned.

"Its to early." He groggily said as he walked towards the white coach dragging his feet behind him.

"It's noon, Jack. I would've left you back at Cole's but there would be no one to watch you. It's going to be quick anyways." I said softly as I brushed his hair out of his face as he laid on the couch drifting off back into sleep. I couldn't help but smile so I leaned down and placed a small kiss on my little brothers forehead.

I walked to the glass window and rested my hand on the cold glass looking down. People walked on the street below and taxicab horns blared. I sighed and looked back at jack who was peacefully sleeping again.

The intercom by the elevator buzzed at a rapid speed. I groaned turning around walking back to the elevator pressing on the red button.

"Hello Miss Hayes I have a man named Kane here to see you." The voice echoed over the intercom. I pressed the little red button.

"Send him up." I said quickly then removing my finger off the red button.

A few minutes later Jack had woken up from his extremely brief nap and stared at me as the elevator doors opened. Kane walked in wearing a maroon T-shirt and black pants with a black hat.

"Must be nice to afford a place like this. You could've made this place nicer and not look like no one lives here with all the billions you must've gotten from our dad." He snorted out as he walked towards the living room examining it. 

Jack stood up and took a step back. He looked scared as he backed up nearly crying.

"Jack its ok, he wont hurt you." I said softly. He nodded and ran towards me leeching onto my leg.

I looked back at Kane "What I did with the money I got from my dad is none of your business. I'm not here to talk about how much money I do or do not have, you wanted to know about dad so here you go. He was an asshole sometimes and sometime he wasn't."

Kane crossed his arms "Ok rich girl, what was your childhood like?"

------Flashback-------

10 years ago

I opened of the door of our large house that was in the middle of nowhere throwing my floral back pack on the floor. I was hit with that familiar sound of arguing coming from my parents room across the house. 

"I take it Mr head-honcho is home." I smile out but am soon alerted as the yelling grows louder echoing through the entire house. 

When my dad wasn't here the house was quite but when he came back from work it was nothing but arguing. Although, it was nothing but arguing I was happy to see him.

I leaned my ear on the door listening.  "You're not doing that to our daughter. Fix your little deal because the only way you'll do that is over my dead body." Mother cursed out. I wanted to hear more so I leaned more against the door but as soon as I did the door slowly creaked open. I dared not to look into my fathers direction so I walked quickly to my mom.

"Skylar I want you to go to your room and close the door. Dad and I are talking about something important." My mom sighed out tucking a loose strand of my short hair behind me ear. She looked behind me at my dad as if she was asking for validation from him.

"It doesn't sound like talking, it sounds more like arguing." I sigh out as I walked towards my dad looking up at him. "It's better when you're not here dad. Thanks for picking me up from school... Oh wait you didn't I had to get a ride from a friend." I said as I crossed my arms looking at him in annoyance. His facial expression changed as guilt radiated through his face as if he had forgotten about me.

"I'm sorry princess I got busy and had to deal with things." He sighed as he tucked his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

My mom stood up and ran to the restroom vomiting. I immediately looked away from my dad and ran towards my mom.

"Go away Skylar you don't need to see this." She said as she profusely threw up in the toilet. 

I bent down and took her hand. Dad just stood there watching like he didn't care that mom was throwing up her lung. She looked up at my as blood was on the edge of her mouth. She leaned over the toilet to weak to stand on her own. With all my force I helped her get up.

Cancer destroyed my mom and it hurts me everyday seeing her like this. My mom is sick and father is rarely home. I hated everyone who had a perfect family. I was miserable and yet no one seemed to care about what I thought. 

I walked over to dad still having my arms wrapped around my mom supporting her weight the best I could.

"Why can't you just be there for mom. She was right,you are an asshole. I HATE YOU Tanner and I hope you rot in hell. " I spat out not thinking before I talked.

 Mom climbed onto the bed and I pulled the covers over her. I felt a strong grip on my arm and when I turned I looked up at my father who was much taller than me.

"I am your father and you WILL NOT talk to me like that!" He yelled out. I felt a large hand collide with my face and burning sensation filled my face as it turned red.

My father had slapped me hard across the face. I looked at him as my eyes started watering up. My hand held the side of my face. It was bright red and the outline of his hand printed on my face. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

I opened my eyes and saw Kane looking at me in confusion. I looked away to try to gather my thoughts again. I took a deep breath and looked into Kane's green eyes.

"He treated my mom like shit and she still loved him. I fucking hated dad for what he did to my mom and when he got with that whore Cheryl I was radiating with anger. I was horrible to him and I wish I could change it," I sigh out looking down at Jack who was still leeched onto my leg.

There was a pause as I thought about everything. Kane sat there intrigued wanting to know more.

"No one understands how much guilt is on my shoulders because of his death. It's on a loop in my mind constantly reminding me that it's my fault." I cry out as the memory come back into light "I'm sorry I can't do this." I softly said as I pushed Jack off my leg and bolted to the restroom.

I closed the door and leaned against it as I slowly fell to the ground burying my head in my knees. My breathing was rapid as my sobs poured out.

My mind swirling with all this memories of my father and mother came back that I had thought about in a long time.

I breathed in and out over and over again till the wave of emotions were gone. I stood up and looked at the mirror seeing mascara smeared across my face. I wiped it away and just looked back at the mirror.

"If you could only see me know mom." I whispered under my breath staring at my reflection. I hate who I am.

All of a sudden my phone started buzzing like crazy in back pocket. I looked to see who it was and it was Cole.

"Skylar I need you to come to Sicily NOW. There is a private jet ready for you so hurry your ass up." He urged out. There was something up I could tell just by the tone in his voice.

My voice was still shaky so I cleared it "Okay. I'll drop Jack off with Hunter and i'll go to the airport. I'll let you know when I land." I said. He just huffed and hung up the phone.

What was it now?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors note

Thanks for reading this chapter sorry it took me so long.

What are your thoughts on this chapter?       I know its kinda boring but oh well. 

Don't forget to vote!