eight

Alexandra's POV

After my little episode, Evan offered to drop me at home, which I abruptly refused

After my little episode, Evan offered to drop me at home, which I abruptly refused. I just took off as quickly as my legs could take me.

I gathered my books from locker and left school. I was emotionally exhausted to say the least.

I headed to the kindergarten to pick Frankie up, earlier than usual. We headed over to Crispy's Diner and got a few cheeseburgers to go.

At the apartment I opened the door for Frankie and ushered her inside, but something on the floor caught my eye.

A red envelope.

I picked it up from the ground, looking for an address but there was none.

After careful inspection by me to make sure it wasn't anthrax, I grabbed a knife from the cutlery drawer and tore open the letter.

Inside was a piece of folded white card with a cartoon brown bear on the front.

Who the fuck was sending me notes like this?

I carefully opened the letter and it read : I miss you, baby. 

It wasn't addressed to anybody and it didn't have a sender name either.

I immediately played it off as a prank that the neighboring kids were playing on me, but I couldn't help but acknowledge the sinister feeling I got from the note. Instead of pondering on it, I decided to throw it away.

After having dinner with Frankie and catching up with her on her day, she falls asleep, much to my annoyance. I pick her up from her laying down position on the couch and lug her little body to her bed. Once she's snuggled in between her Dora the Explorer sheets, I can't help but be a little envious of her peacefulness. Kissing her on the forehead, I release a yawn of my own and make the decision to get some rest too.

As an insomniac, sleep doesn't find me easily, so I switched on my laptop and decided to watch some pointless documentary on Netflix.

In the corner of my laptop, a little Skype notification appears, notifying me that someone would like to call me.

I pause the show I was watching and switch over to Skype.

After seeing who the caller was, I didn't hesitate before answering.

"I miss you," he says.

"Not as much as I miss you."

My little brother Tobias or Toby has been my best friend since the day I was born. Grandmother used to joke about us being distant fraternal twins. After everything with me went down, he was my number one supporter. He forced me to leave him behind and I promised him that as soon as I was settled, I would buy him a bus ticket out to our destination. He told me he'd only accept it if the abuse escalated to a point that he couldn't handle. We promised to keep our communication to a minimum, just to be sure that our dad wasn't looking for me; or worse, Anthony.