Chapter 22 ~ Because I Like You

Start from the beginning

"No, sweetheart. You did not. It's just... what you said kind of shocked us, you know? You've never snapped like that before" she reassured me, stepping forward to place a hand on my back from behind.

I didn't open my eyes. Instead, I tensed at her touch because if I was being honest, this was the first time she had touched me since I was a little kid. "I know. I um... I overheard you two talking about Louis and how you thought he was a bad influence on me, and I guess that just kind of made me upset?" I tried to explain, scratching the back of my neck.

I didn't even know what I was talking about. I just spoke what my heart told me to, and it told me to defend Louis. However, my mind was still mad at him for humiliating me.

"Oh," she said hesitantly. "Well, I can't say I like him, Harry, because I really don't. I've never been a fan of tattoos and piercings. Not to mention punks in general."

I finally turned around to face her, but I didn't smile as I could tell she thought I was going to do by the look on her face. Instead, I furrowed my eyebrows together. "I think you should learn not to judge people before you know them," I said in a mutter.

She swallowed hard, keeping a somewhat natural look on her face. "Harry, love. Are you sure you know what you're talking about? If I remember correctly, this so-called 'Louis' was your bully, aren't I right?"

I avoided her intense gaze, looking anywhere but her. "How did you know?" I mumbled, secretly shocked by how she could remember something like that.

I could see her eyebrows knitting together through the corner of my eye. "Am I not supposed to know those kinds of things? I'm your mother, Harry."

"Sometimes it doesn't feel that way," I mumbled so quietly I thought she didn't hear me, but by the look on my her face, I could tell that she did.

Her jaw clenched together, and her eyes darkened with anger. "What did you just say, son?" She asked with a dark voice, stepping forward.

I swallowed hard, looking away from her. "N-nothing," I attempted, but it was too late.

The next second, I could hear a loud smack echoing in the room, and by the blood and pain I felt rushing to my cheek, I knew exactly what had just happened.

Mum had slapped me.

I let out a loud gasp, clutching my now aching cheek in my hand. "W-what the hell?" I croaked, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

The worst thing about the situation wasn't the fact that she had just hit me, but the look on her face. She didn't even have a sign of regret written on her features, and that made my heart shatter into a million pieces.

Before she had time to even open her mouth to say something, I took off towards the front door. I couldn't stay here. Not now, not ever again. If they couldn't respect my choice of friends or the way I was now, I couldn't live here with them.

I slipped my feet into my shoes and shrugged on my jacket before exiting the house, slamming the door shut with a loud banging noise.

I ran to my car, jumped into the driver's seat and sped off towards school. It only took a couple of minutes until I arrived and turned off the engine with a deep sigh. Feeling tears rolling down my cheeks, I desperately tried to wipe them away, but it was no use. They just kept on running.

My cheek was still throbbing by the slap I had received from mom, and the fact that it was from her out of all people didn't exactly stop the tears from escaping my eyes. I couldn't believe she had slapped me. She had actually hit me. Out of all things I expected her to do in that situation, I never expected her to do this. It was just uncalled for.